1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Which Disney Resort?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by zoebums, Oct 3, 2012.

1. zoebums

zoebums Earning my ears

HI, we are looking to take our kids to Disney (their 1st trip) our daughter will be 5 and our son will only be 23 months. Where would you recommend for us to stay? I am so confused!

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

What resorts have you looked at? Do you want to stay on site or off site? Do you want a conventional hotel room, or a villa, or a hotel suite?

Much depends on having more information regarding your preferences so that we can help you plan your holiday.

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Hi zoebums!

And :spraywelcome: to Secrets!

We'd also need to know how long you plan to go for. Give us a little bit more information like that and I'm sure we can come up with some recommendations for you. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... self appointed Assistant Cruise Director. :sail:)

4. zoebums

zoebums Earning my ears

HI,

thank you for replying.

we are looking to go with Oct 2013 or Nov/Dec 2013.

For 2 weeks.

My husband and I plus 2 kids.

Also, parents may go but will all want separate rooms/villas etc as to have our own space. So there may be 6 adults and 2 kids.

We would like to stay on Disney Resort and maybe include dining plan as to try and save some money.

5. catrancher

Ok. On Disney Property, your most inexpensive resorts will be the Value resorts. The All-Star Sports, All-Star Movies, All-Star Music, Art of Animation, or Pop Century. See this web page. These would be your resort options that cost the least on Disney property.

Stepping up a level, would be the Moderate resorts. This would be the Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach, or Coronado Springs. The Disney page for these resorts is here. It also references the Cabins at Fort Wilderness but unless you're looking for a camping type experience, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for you.

Of course, if money's no object, the Deluxe Resorts are extremely nice. The page for them is here. But based on your desire to "try and save some money", I don't think they'd be what you're after on this trip.

At any of the Disney resorts you'll be able to take advantage of the Disney Transportation. This gives you either bus, monorail, or boat transportation between your Disney resort and any of the parks or Downtown Disney. Beyond that, there's just something magical about staying at a Disney resort. My DW and I always stay on Disney property. Living where we do, we drive to Disney World and stay onsite for about a week. When we arrive, I park our car at the resort and don't even see it again for the entire week. We rely strictly on Disney transportation and have never had an issue or problem.

I'm sure you'll have more questions as your planning moves on but this should get you started and give you an idea of what the resorts are like.

Keep the questions coming, we'll be glad to help! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... planning is such fun!)

6. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I would like to put my vote in for the All Stars :) Either Music or Movies works best for us. My daughter was 5 when we went and my Son was 3 and they loved the Movies. Everything is large and over the top and there are so many places to play that they just loved it. We stayed in the Toy Story building and my little boy is a Buzz fan, so there were smiles all around.

You said you were trying to save a little money with the dining plan, so this would be your best value and I think the room size would be great for your family :thumbsup:

7. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We like Pop Century it is mega fun!

8. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

I can't help with resort information but if you decide you would like information about a villa then I would be happy to help. It may be worth looking at all options, especialy if your parents do go as well

Sandra

9. catrancher

Pop Century is fun! Here's a few pictures from back when we stayed there back in 2004!

Just so you get an idea about how big some of those things are, that one picture is my DW standing under the Lady statue at the resort. And the Duncan Yo-Yo's are actually surrounding a staircase.

Tom :)macwave:... worth the trip!)

10. Kyle

Kyle Earning my ears

We've stayed at Coronado Springs Resort and loved it. We will be staying there again Nov, 2013. :yes:

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have to say this, so bear with me. I don't honestly think the dining plan is always a good financial move. If you are paying rack rate for the hotel, then you really aren't saving anything.

I personally believe that the most cost effective AND most comfortable WDW stay can be to rent an offsite villa along with transport. We are DVC members so that is part of the reason I say that. Granted, DVC is on property, but if we didn't have that, we'd be going for an offiste villa (which we did for our first visit; not a villa proper but a full guest suite (living room, kitchen, bedroom)).

If you want to stay on property, then definitely look into the value resorts as they are very nice. :yes: You can ask for rooms that are connecting too, if that might help with the kids and the grandparents.

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

If you want more space then I would stay offsite and get a villa. You'll have so much more room.

If you want to stay on Disney property you will really need 2 rooms with that many people. Yes there are family suites at All Star Music and Art of Animation but I don't think they are suitable for that many adults.

The dining plan can be a good option for some but not always.

13. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

The dinning plan takes some serious planning IMO to get the most out of it. If this is your first time at WDW then I recommend not doing the dinning plan.

As far as where to stay, if you all want to stay together then I recommend a 2 bedroom at a DVC resort (pricey) or an offsite villa. You could always try adjoining rooms at any WDW resort but then you are doubling your budget for a room and then that also all you're getting is a room. No kitchen, no in room laundry, etc.