1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Which is better, Disney illuminations cruise or wishes cruise?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by disaholic, Jul 12, 2011.

1. disaholic

disaholic Earning my ears

I'm sure they're both wonderful but if we're going to try and get one should we try for the magic kingdom wishes cruise or illuminations?

Does one last longer than the other?

Is it weird if it's just one family in the boat rather than a full party?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We've only been on one Disney events cruise, and that was as guests of Wendy and her husband for Wishes. It was incredible and a wonderful experience.

I think either would be quite fun though. :yes:

I would say that the experience is best with intimate friends or just family. :yes:

The Illuminations Cruise seems a little "stifled" to me in that the boat stops under the bridge (that crosses over from UK to France) whereas the Wishes Cruise, you right "out there" on the lake in line with the castle.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Ahem! Have you forgotten the one we did during the "wedding" meet Tink?
    You must remember it. It was the one where you nearly demolished the interior of the GF boat! :lol:

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

That's the one she's talking about :lol: how she could have forgotten you were there as well, I don't know :lol: :hug2:

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I've chosen the illuminations one because it's Jons favourite, it's a close thing but I actually think I prefer illuminations to wishes

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

They're both great but different. Unhelpful or what :lol:

Wishes is more open as Tink says. It's more of a relaxed sail about, darkness falls, castle there, few other boats bobbing around and blam, fireworks!

Illuminations felt like it covered more actual area as we sailed around and as the boats lined up to to park under the bridge, there was quite a feeling of anticipation in the air as everyone waited for the fireworks.

Wishes is a bit more intimate because there's usually space between the boats out there, illuminations eventually ends up with all the boats next to each other although in darkness so it's not like you care much how many are around :lol:

The only other thing to watch with illuminations is that sometimes the smoke blows in the wrong direction or settles low in front of the bridge area. I wouldn't say it's by any means common but it's happened.