1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Why buy into DVC?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by MystikPiglit, Jun 8, 2014.

1. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Pete has tasked me with asking you this question. :) He cannot see the financial advantage of DVC and would love to know what it is. So, can anyone sell the idea to him? :)

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I don't either. But I think the financial advantage comes into plays many years from now when hotel prices increase yet DVC points should retain value

3. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I don't see a financial adavantage either. Besides your original investment there is an annual maintenance fee that seems to go up every year.

4. MystikPiglit

Thanks for your replies. :) There are so many DVC members that there must be a reason. :)

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we ummed and ahhhed over this for years... there is financial advantage if you want to stay in 'deluxe' properties and go regularly. If you just want to save money then accommodation can be had quite cheaply and you obviously have more choice. As Johnie says it does come into it's own in the future but we didn't want to be tied down.

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That sums up my feelings about dvc really.

It's such an attractive thing to "have" if you love going to Disney like we do, that I think it's easy to credit it with more worth than it actually has. Like people forget the increasing annual fee or the differing points needed for various dates and the problem getting the dates you actually want.

*however* if you go every year and would never consider value/offsite to save money and have the cash to buy into DVC without going into debt to do it, then the rule is, the sooner you do it the better. Don't umm and arrr for years, do it soon as you can with as many points as you can sensibly get and sit back and enjoy it every year. There will be a breakeven point for you if you're always staying in deluxe anyway and past that point you should be doing brilliantly even with the annual fees, but it'll be years out.

There's also other sundry discounts to take into account too such as discounts on annual passes.

Finally I think it's a bit like the Dining plan. Having already paid for it, it's a nice feeling to just choose where to spend the points and perhaps you'd try things you wouldn't necessarily rush to try as an out of pocket spent such as Cruise etc.

Every time I look I get sold on the purchase price and would love to feel I'm a member, it's the annual fees that put me off :/ 3 nights at bay lake, 1 bed villa, mk view was looking at needing about 160 points and that's an annual fee of $1000ish. In the past I've had a studio with mk view for that or not far off and I've not needed to spend $25k up front.

It's not that it's a bad deal, it will work out if you're the right kind of person for it just not quite as soon as the dvc reps would have you believe and you need to see benefit in staying in the good rooms rather than seeing it as the cheapest way to stay.

7. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I think it's also a different choice for us in the UK also in regards to the maintenance fee. The dollar rate changes so much and there is no real 'one answer' each year as it changes. I think for me that's what would put me off.

If I were to sign up to a time share i'd do it for the security of knowing the costs for 'x' period, with the maintenance fee this changes and also the dollar rate changes so too much movement for me to be happy with it.

Also as above there is the dining plan element of it also.

8. keith

plus with plane fairs going up so much over the last few years and showing every sign of continuing to rise, it's not like it is for folks who can just drive there or get a cheap internal flight

9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I think that Keith has hit the nail right on the head regarding becoming a member as soon as you can afford without running into debt if possible.
    As we have been DVC members right from the start in 1992, by now we have certainly recouped our original investment especially as in those days it only cost us $50 per point and free park admissions were "thrown in" up to 2000.
    This relatively low purchase price allowed us to purchase more points than we would probably like to take on today, and a fair chunk of the cost of the annual dues are offset by the discounts on our AP`s, valet parking at the DVC resorts, merchandice purchases etc.etc.
    DVC certainly isn`t for everyone obviously, however we have never regretted being members as we tend to visit Florida often and can grant ourselves a bit of free luxury by staying at the de-luke resorts, or taking in a cruise even though we own a villa over there.
    That said, you are not limited to using your points for a WDW vacation,as with the connection with RCI, the points can be used for vacations worldwide ...although we have never taken advantage of this so far.

keith likes this.
  10. MystikPiglit

Thank you all for the replies. I think that more or less confirms what we have thought, especially Pete, that it really isn't worth it unless you have spare cash to invest. Thank you. :)

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Have you thought about buying into a timeshare closer to home :unsure: you would get more use out of it and you could use your points to stay at a Disney resort or DVC. I know that you used to get a good deal if you traded your points to go to the US. Of course that may well have changed now :lol:

12. MystikPiglit

Pete has always thought that timeshares etc were a waste of money, it's just that Disney lure that makes you consider it. :lol:

13. Wendy

Chris has the same opinion :lol: We are being left a timeshare but he says he will have to see how much the service charge is before we take it on :lol:

14. keith

yeah I know what you mean :lol:

I must say I'd rather use the dvc buy in as a deposit on a villa

15. Wendy

:yes: definitely :D

16. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I guess one of the main differences between a normal time share and DVC is that unlike most time shares you are not "locked in" to set times for when you take your vacation.
    At least with DVC you can go at any time or day of the year.

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Most timeshares have gone to a points system instead of weeks. I've always been able to trade my week for a fee of $159. For an entire weeks stay