Why is Disney ruining things?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World and Disney Springs' started by Slowhand, Dec 27, 2014.

1. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Well-Known Member

Housewife.
    You tell 'em, Becca. ;)
    It is Disney that offer this, so naturally people will jump at the chance. We did once in the past. Personally, I'd rather have room reductions offered.

2. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Becca sweetie, you know me well enough to know that this was not aimed at you. It was aimed at those that "take advantage" of the free offers. Personally I think the fault does indeed lie with the way Disney instituted and runs the Free Dining. As we all know they did it after 9/11 to entice people to come back to the park. Recent observations on my behalf of previously quiet times have indicated that there really aren't any quiet times any longer. Last year we went to MVMCP on a Tuesday night in early December. It was SOLD OUT as were all of the parties during the time we were there. It is the first time that we have ever attended a party MNSSHP or MVMCP that we couldn't move and couldn't get hardly any rides done. I think it is time that Disney took a good, hard look at their Free Dining Promotion and bring it to a close or drastically revamp it so that those of us who are paying OOP can once again get the service and quality of meals that we deserve with the prices they are charging. Lately it seems that every restaurant has the same thing on their menu, maybe prepared the same way or slightly differently.

3. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it wasn't for the discounts and free dining I wouldn't have been able to take the kids to their favourite place in the world and eat at the places we have done.
    With the cost of flights from the uk we would have had to stay offsite and not in our 'bubble'.

4. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If an offer is made by Disney and a guest accepts that offer, I'm missing how it's freeloading? What am I not understanding? You have to be staying on site and from what I understand, paying rack rate to get free dining, and then only when it's offered. Otherwise, the guest pays for the dining plan in addition to the room rate. Either way, it's paid for.

5. Dawn

Dawn New Member

We have seen a decline in the quality of food and service since the inception of the dining plan. As such on a 2 week stay we'll possibly eat at a max of 3 table service restaurants - a character meal, last night at 1900 Park Fare and sometimes 1 other. For us there is far better food available at a much cheaper cost at many offsite locations. I still get the magic of being in the parks but...having to choose where you want to eat 6 months out then paying over the odds for frankly average food does not match up to walking into a Longhorn Steakhouse, being seated in minutes and having a great meal at a reasonable cost. Take the food out of the equation and Disney still holds its magic for us...so far. We've never had to book a ride weeks in advance though, not sure how I feel about that.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    I refuse to book rides in advance, sorry that's just not on my to do list. I don't know where in Florida I will be on any given day and I sure as all he** ain't gonna be having my life mapped out for me like that. I go on holiday to chill chill chill and do things at my own pace. Darned if I'm going to be planning where I'm eating and now where I'm at in advance.

7. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Not to sound too much like a twit, but what exactly is "rack rate"?

8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    HAHAHA! Not a twit at all! Rack rate means you pay the "asking price" of the hotel (think: sticker price on a car). Basically it means you pay the exact rate w/out any sort of discounts (seasonal, AP, military, etc).

9. Watchinherskip

oh I see...well that is me!!! Durn! Does AAA (ok now maybe AARP!!! Couldn't you just die?) discounts qualify to get you off the RR catagory...Gee I hope so, don't want to be sucker.

10. Watchinherskip

I have to admit, I got a bit depressed reading the original post, perhaps because things are not the way they used to be, and I don't really know if things are EVER the same way. I do like the postings that say that while it isn't the same as it was, it still is a wonderful vacation, and more importantly, that you get to remember those wonderful trips of the past with such total recall that it makes the present ever so magical.

I may have posted in the past that I think I became clinically depressed as a kid leaving the magic of the 1964 World's Fair (with all the Disney inspired pavillions) realizing that I would never be going back, that it was being dismantled. Guess that is why I don't let the dumb business model currently in place at WDW get to me too much. When we are there, there are tons of people, but you know what, the only ones that really matter to me are the ones in my family and the interactions with the CMs.

I checked out Isafari's little video of Wishes, and that brought me to my around, Disney would really have to screw things to ruin that magic!!!

11. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    So let me ask you all this. You know this site, small, or as the estate agents would say, bijou though it may be is still my pride and joy and I love seeing you all here :yes: The last thing I want to do is put everyone off with complaints and negativity (which I admit, I'm the worst for).

So, we've talked about it before, should we have another bit called "rants" or something that we keep the bad bits too so people don't need to read them?

12. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I think wherever the rants are, people will flock towards them, I don't think it'll make much difference. It's human nature to be moved more by the negative than the positive, so people seek it out... Ironically, usually hoping for a spark of positivity in the mess.

13. Watchinherskip

Oh as far as I am concernd no, Keith. I took no offense to the post at all. I hope that is not what I was saying. Just waxing philosphically. I kind of appreciate it, it made me think it through and on the whole that is a great thing. No worries mate.

14. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think I've already caused far more consternation in this thread than I intended with the use of the term "freeloaders". However, if anyone is interested I can provide a solid example of what I meant. I certainly did not mean to imply that anyone here was a "freeloader" perhaps I could have come up with a different term.

15. keith

Home Page:
    It's just the term I think USC not the intent. Freeloader has pejorative overtones towards the consumer of the deal which I suspect was not your intent. I think you meant that the offering of it in the way it's presented by Disney is the problem. Naturally we all like a great deal and taking it up doesn't make us to blame for any restaurant issues ;-)

I'd like to hear your example yeah! no reason we can't discuss.

My personal, and controversial, view is that the whole dining plan, whether free or paid, leads demonstrably and inextricably to a certain mode of operation and performance at a restaurant which is incompatible with a top quality experience. Having seen and experienced the dumbing down of menu, customer service and experience at the restaurants, along with the usual Disney increase in price, many of us are now unwilling to pay the price. Sadly the dining plan obfuscates the cost, "it's just 2 points isnt it? and we may as well use them?" which is a very different personal cost feeling than "OMG $250 for the 2 of us? it wasn't even that good! not like when we came 5 years ago :/"

I appreciate that people like prepay whether that be paying full price for a room and getting a free plan, or paying for the plan itself. Likewise, Disney love knowing the restaurants will be full. So it's not as if I don't realise what a pointless tirade this is ;-) but a few high end, pay only, and dare I say, over 16s only ;-), would doubtless make it on my list of places to go.

16. Watchinherskip

The first two times we went to WDW we purchased a package from Disney that had meals, park hopper tickets and a few coupons for like a boat rental, 9 holes of golf at the Oak Trail course etc. We really enjoyed that package. We also over the years got the complimentary dining option and was less than thrilled with the options. We had an ADR at Living Seas late in the evening. We got there in plenty of time, early actually, but they said that we still had to wait nearly an hour for our table. Needless to say that was not so enjoyable, so I get where many are coming from. I kind of am too stubborn to let that color my total experience of the visit. Who knows what they will be doing next year (our scheduled visit in January OR the DCL cruise) but I know we will love our trip and let our memories of the best parts shade color our experience. I am really starting to think about it...about 365 days out now.

17. keith

Home Page:
    yeah exactly :) :yes: you're 100% correct otherwise yah know, I wouldn't be going back again but I am :lol: and am looking forward to it and counting the days/hours/minutes....

18. Deb

Deb Active Member

This is a really interesting thread :) I have holidayed to WDW 10 times (I think, I lose count) for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. In the “real world†that is a lot of times. In the Secrets world, it is average at best, even miniscule maybe ;) I always stayed offsite until 2 out of the last 3 times. I have visited the other Orlando parks before but have always been a Disney girl at heart, and have not been elsewhere for the last 3 visits.

Before I stayed onsite in 2010 I had only eaten at Disney TS restaurants maybe 10 times, so I haven’t really had a real time eating onsite before free dining came into being, and therefore I suppose I have no comparison. But in general I haven’t really been disappointed by it. I didn’t expect haute cuisine everywhere and overall have been quite happy – and meals out are quite important to us on our holidays. The times things haven’t been right, like poor service or mediocre meals…well, if I was eating somewhere else for 2 weeks solid it would have to be pretty incredible for each meal to be perfect all of the time. So maybe our expectations are a little lower.

Do I think of myself as “taking advantage� Well yes, because I am. I don't think I have ever booked a holiday anywhere without feeling it was a bargain :) I would not book a Disney room at the rack rate if it didn’t have a DP. But I would be happy to book a decently reduced rate room without DP, and if that happened I would eat offsite sometimes. Last time we stayed offsite at the Buena Vista Palace (right on DTD), and maybe ate a third of the time onsite, but booked very little.

The time before last we stayed at OKW with the free DP and we upgraded it to the Deluxe plan. It wasn’t perfect, but it was fun, and enjoyable, so much so that we have upgraded our free DP to Deluxe again for our next trip. If there are issues with the food or the service then there is also the other positive factor of being surrounded by the Disney experience. We aren’t bothered by the planning so far ahead; in fact we are enjoying it. We are on Disney property for 2 weeks and are looking forward to that bubble. That planning has made it relatively easy to plan the FP+ situation too, as it just falls naturally from that. For some reason for us knowing what we are planning on doing that far ahead isn’t a problem, it's exciting. I think it might be if it was our first time, or we knew we were never going back, I don’t know. And we always remember that if we want to change our plans and be flexible or spontaneous we can and will. We’ll see how we feel about FP+ when we get back, but we aren’t worried or concerned about it, and in fact can see some benefits :)

With regard to what Keith mentioned about having a "rants" section, my personal opinion is that we shouldn't. As with many things in life it is all about balance, and when you separate the good and bad out you lose the perspective and context of each. I like the honesty and the opinions of both in the same place so they can be weighed up against the criteria that are important to the individual. On most (all?) other Disney sites that would most likely cause conflict. This is the site more than any other you can combine them because this site more than any other encourages, and therefore has, respect and listening and caring between it's members. We can do that without the stupid falling out and taking of offence that seems to happen in most other Disney forums. We are accepting that different people like or want different things from their experience. It makes it interesting, and for me it means I can use the info to make a rounded decision on things.

19. keith

Home Page:
    Well said Deb!

I guess my concern is about the people who may not necessarily like to come out and say "I dont read the site any more because it's more depressing than other places"

20. Deb

Deb Active Member

Have you SEEN the other sites? :jawdrop: :rotfl: