1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Why is Le Cellier So Popular

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Wendy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I see lots of people trying to get reservations for Le Cellier and some get really upset because they can't get one.

What makes the restaurant so popular, the menu doesn't seem to differ much from other signature restaurants, if anything, it possibly has less choice. Now with the new All Day Menu, I do wonder if it will carry on being popular.

Have you eaten there and what do you think makes it special.
  2. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I have eaten at Le Cellier on every visit and it was great value for a 1 credit restaurant. The food was always very good. The cheese soup and pretzel bread were a big draw as was the filet mignon. In other words the food was very good value.
    I dont see that people will be rushing to make reservations now that it is permanently a 2 credit restaurant. To be honest, the setting isnt anything special and the tables are quite cramped. Only a total revamp of the restaurant as well as a special menu (not sure what I think of it) will make it a draw. I wont be going this year and that is the first time I will have removed it from my list.

Mags
  3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Weve never been, so I wouldnt know haha

And now being a 2 credit restaurant I dont see us going anytime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think it was mainly the "1 credit" thing wasn't it.

Back ten years ago, Le cellier was a nice little restaurant in the corner and was a place you could get "normal" :lol: food. By which I mean, if you wanted steak and chips, there you go. Not only that, it was NICE steak and chips in a nice relaxed setting.

As the parks started to fill back up in the years after 2001, it started getting busier but walk ins were still possible. The prices went up and it frankly started being a bit pricy for, well, steak and chips :lol: but was still nice.

More tables seemed to be crammed in, the price continued on an upward trend and it started to get a reputation frankly somewhat above its ability. It was after all, still selling, steak and chips ;-)

The final straw was the dining plan. All of a sudden this expensive restaurant became a one credit dining experience and everyone wanted it. Not only that but back in those days, they did things like saying "hi there oooo youre on the dining plan, ok you can have anything on the menu, we do a larger version of the steak thats not on the menu and we can add lobster to that for free on the plan?"

anything to get that bill up and pocket the inflated gratuity which again, was included back then.

It's frankly not a signature restaurant and not worthy of 2 credits but it continues to book up.
  5. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have eaten at Le Celier many times and truth be told the quality of the food is no where near what it once was. The last two times I ate there my steak was barely edible. I no longer feel the need to dine there. For 2 credits I would head over to the Yachtsman steakhouse or pay out of pocket for Shulas
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

COMPLETELY agree with that.

The last steak with peppercorn sauce I had at the YC was superb and Shulas has always been consistently great. Absolutely no reason to put up with overpriced le cellier any more (other than nostalgia)
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It's sad when a good restaurant goes downhill. It's one of those places we never got round to trying, mainly because we could never get a table. Listening to what's been said though I don't think I would bother now.
  8. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Have had a meal at LE CELLIER 2 Years ago good meal but not any better than many other resturants
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Haven't dined there in years. The last time we did was early in the Tables in Wonderland years (Disney Dining Experience then). The food was slipping then. The tables were jammed like a NYC cafe, and the food wasn't all that wonderful. Never was a fan of that cheese soup by the way. It just tastes sour to me.

No way would I go there now and pay those silly prices for mediocre food. :shrug: Of course, that seems to be the case with all Disney restaurants, anymore. :sigh:
  10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The first time we ate here we had a lovely table back out of the mainstream and a wonderful meal. The last time, and it has been several years, we were crowded in, it was noisier and the food wasn't as good. Still love their Cheddar Cheese Soup, but we haven't been back.
  11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

If I could get the cheddar cheese soup and the pretzel bread somewhere else then I wouldn't go back
  12. Figment

Figment Imagineer

Our feelings exactly! I wish they'd open a kiosk and just sell soup with pretzel sticks. Jordan and I were planning another visit in June to get the soup. split a cheeseburger and then each get a dessert. (I got something in November that was a deconstructed chocolate pecan pie thing that was the BEST thing I had EVER eaten.) However, with the change to an all day menu that dropped the cheeseburger AND that decadent dessert, I cancelled our ADR. Just not worth it.