1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

why is new year so expensive :(

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by jojo, May 1, 2010.

1. jojo

jojo Imagineer

I was really hoping to go over christmas and new year to spend it in Epcot but its nearly twice the price of going early in december or late november :( is this right or is it too early to book good prices or something?
  2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I remember two years ago we got quote for £2500 for one week just two of us over the new year break :-S
  3. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Yes it's aways really expensive :thumbsdown:

If you can travel earlier in December you still get to see all the Christmas decorations etc

Sandra
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We always go early December, as Sandra says you can still see all the decorations, go to the parties, the parks are much quieter and it's cheaper all round.

Shame though, I was hoping to go over new years for a change this year but I wont be if the price is double!
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Everything, not just the fare to get here, is more expensive. WDW raises the prices of the food, the hotels, the merchandise, so the entire visit is much more overall. Combine that with capacity crowds where some parks (MK usually) close because they are too full, and it's a puzzle why folks would want to put themselves through that!

It's the only time some have to visit, of course but it's still chaotic.

We've been during Christmas, and it is lovely, but that was before everything became much more expensive.
  6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i went for Christmas one year and didn't enjoy it as much as i thought i would, it was very crowded.

Early december is much better.
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It is so expensive because Disney is well aware that folks are clamoring to be there and therefore will be willing to pay almost any price to be able to do so.
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I know what you mean! My very first visit to WDW was MK on the 27th of December. :eek:

Needless to say, I walked away wondering what all the hype was about. :lol: LOOOOOONNNNNG lines, shoulder to shoulder people, grumpy cast members (honest!) and no wine available. :lol: (Only did a day pass to MK).

It took me 4 years before I returned, and then saw the "beauty" of WDW. :yes:

But yeah, that Christmas week visit was chaos.

I've been at Christmas since, but know full well what to expect. If you are there to do more than stand about and "enjoy the atmosphere and people watch" you are going to need a seriously good plan.