1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

wilderness lodge or polynesian

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Poly-Princess, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Poly-Princess

Poly-Princess Earning my ears

We usually stay at the polynesian but there are some great deals on the wilderness lodge so which would you prefer to stay at? what are the benefits (and flaws) in staying at each of these?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh gosh, Wilderness Lodge all over the Polynesian! :yes:

Loads of reasons, mostly the layout and design of the WL, plus the pool area. The Poly is the only deluxe without hot tubs and we really like to use a hot tub, so not having one at the Poly was a real issue for us.

We found the staff there in the restaurants (Poly) to be pretty ... well, not so nice. :( The food at Kona has dropped off considerably, and 'Ohana isn't nearly so nice as it once was. It was total chaos there in the mornings too. :(

So, as much as we enjoyed a friend obtaining a complimentary upgrade to the concierge level there, we'll not rush back.

(Concierge was essentially useless. They couldn't do anything for us that we couldn't do for ourselves. :shrug: ).

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I personally love the WL (it's my favorite resort), but I do like the fact that the Poly is on the monorail.

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Another vote for WL from me too. :thumbsup:
    I just love the theming of the place and Artists Point is on the list of our "must do" restaurants for dinner each time we visit WDW.

5. Tink

Oh yes! :yes: Artisit Pointe in a wonderful place to dine.

I like the artifacts in the lobby, as well. I feel like I'm actually viewing something significant. The Poly, although quite pretty, is just that, pretty with no substance, if that makes any sense?

The WL and the AKL lobbies are my favorites. :yes: (Not that that will surprise anyone)! :lol:

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Another vote for the Wilderness Lodge :yes:

All in one resorts always feel more special to me rather than being sent out to some other building. Artist point is a great quiet and largely overlooked jewel of a restaurant.

Pool great and quiet, boat to magic kingdom only takes a few mins but is wonderful and a great uncrowded way to get there and back.

We just didn't find the poly that special plus we had some rather poor service as well.

It does have a ferociously loyal return visitor base though so clearly this is a case of each to his/her own :yes:

7. Tink

Yes, how true is that! There is a group of folks who are blindly loyal to the Poly!

I LOVE the Beach Club, but don't stay there every time! :lol: I like that about WDW. There really is something for everyone and if you are the sort who likes to stay at the same place time after time, WDW is happy to accommodate that too! :yes:

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Here's another vote for the WL! :yes:

Although, the time we stayed there I spent most of our vacation in bed with the flu. But it was a very nice bed! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... who likes vacations better when he's not sick!)

9. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I agree... the Poly is just so hectic in the mornings.....

I like the fact the the Poly has the monoriel, haivng said that, thats the ONLY thing where the Poly scores over the WL for me..

We love the design of the WL... the layout, and the fact that its just one big building

The boat ride to MK is really relaxing, and different from buses/monoriel...

You are really close to the action, yet, can retreat to an "out of the way" resort, enjoy the pool, the lake views, the animals, etc....

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That's so true

I have wonderful memories of staying in the Magic Kingdom for EMH evenings and getting the boat back to the wilderness lodge at 1/2am. So relaxed and happy

11. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Wilderness Lodge was the first resort we ever stayed in and so it does hold lovely memories for me. Love Whispering Canyon and the whole 'ambience' of the lobby is so soothing. Also love the little shop there. When I went in December the fire was burning and it felt so lovely in there.

12. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Haven't stayed at either but have visited both extensively and without a doubt I would choose WL over the Poly, love the pool area, the lobby and the shop is fab! I also love the way it feels 'away from it all' - just love it! Fingers crossed for us next year :yes:

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we had that experience too Tink, very disappointed -the thing that saved it was the view from our room.

I love the WL and wd love to stay there, i think the Poly looks quite dated too.