1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

wilderness lodge or polynesian?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by UKTim, Sep 16, 2008.

1. UKTim

UKTim Earning my ears

Im reading some good things about the wilderness lodge but had never considered it before? it looks cheaper than the polynesian but is it as good? thanks

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`m sure that Keith will be along soon on this one as it is probably his favourite resort.
    In the meantime though, my DW and I stayed at WL a few years ago and we really enjoyed it and personally I prefer it to the Poly.
    The only downside is that it has a fairly isolated location so unless you have a car then you have to rely heavily on the Disney Transportation system. Having said that, being isolated does have it`s advantages as visitors have to make an effort to get there so securing an ADR for Artist`s Point [one of our favourite WDW restaurants] has never been a problem for us.
    I`m sure that you wouldn`t be disappointed should you decide to stay there.

3. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Stayed in the Poly a few years ago. Location, Location, Location!:p015:

It was a lovely resort to be sure, but as far as ammenities, I prefered Boardwalk to the Poly. But you can't beat it for proximity to the MK, Seven Seas Lagoon, TTC, and from there to the rest of the world. Daughter loved the tropical themed pool with piped in underwater music (wonder if they still do that?). The room was really nice, but not spectacular. Grounds though are stunning.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Did someone call? :D

I'm totally biased towards the wilderness lodge. It's a beautiful resort

It's very relaxing, rooms are great. It has two great restaurants although the whispering canyon is pretty scary :lol:. Artists point is one of the true undiscovered treasures of Disney dining. Even the bar is just one of those wonderfully relaxing places to sit for an evening.

Great pool and if you're lucky to get a room looking out across the pool of an evening, it's just so perfectly "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"some :)

Transportation is fine because its close to the MK so you can take the great little boat across (just be careful, the dock is all wood and can be slippy), or you can get the bus all over.

Nice useful shop, great staff and because of the wilderness lodge villas, the shop there is an upgraded one which sells useful provisions like milk and meats for sandwiches if you fancy saving some money for an inroom dine.

I can't say enough great things about it and since it's the cheapest of the MK resorts, it's a bargain

5. Watchinherskip

Keith, is it an actual Disney resort, or is it like the Swan and Dolphin, run by an outside entity?

6. keith

totally an actual Disney resort!!!! it's a little treasure it really is because travel agents often default to recommending the polynesian and grand floridian

7. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I completely love the WL we stayed there last trip and was quite prpared to book somewhere else this time so we can 'do the lot' but simply couldn't make myself book anywhere else.

Can't think of a bad thing to say about it - from the moment we stepped into the nreathtaking lobby to the minute I was dragged sobbing and bawling out after 2 weeks I utterly loved it and I am as excited about going back to the hotel again as I am to be going back to Disney.

Cant tell you anthing about the Poly sorry

8. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

I always think of WL as a more 'mature' resort. I'm not being nasty or anything, it just seems that it is more suited to adults (apart from Whispering Canyon). WL was our first resort to stay in and we had a fantastic time but I have to be honest and say I would go for Poly.

9. Skywatcher

nah our kids adored it

10. Watchinherskip

That's cool...don't know where I got that from, was it always a Disney owned resort?

11. Slowhand

Yep, right from the beginning. I can remember it being built and having a sneak peek from the MK monorail a while back.

12. keith

yep always Disney. Opened 1994 and I think overshadowed somewhat by the ongoing love affair some folks have with the polynesian and of course the top of the range reputation of the grand floridian.

Special features like the working geyser and hot springs make it even nicer

Now it's not on the monorail if that matters, but the boat ride is nice and quick. They'll often stop on the way to show you the fireworks over the castle and there's always a nice gathering on the boat dock each night to watch them from there.

I can't really say enough good things about it

13. Watchinherskip

Thanks, may be on our short list for the next trip. We were thinking of doing the CR after being retooled this year.

14. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Yes so did my DGD and she was 4 when we went, it just has that adult feel to it IMHO.

15. Slowhand

I also like the attention to small details at the WL, like the animal footprints in the concrete pathways....obviously man made but a nice touch anyhow.

16. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

While it is tough to beat the Polynesian for location, the Wilderness Lodge is an absolutely gorgeous resort. The wooded setting and being back out of the hustle and bustle of the MK resorts makes it an ideal locale.

17. keith

Im a big fan of the "all in one building" resorts. I never like checking in and then going to one of the outside buildings, just a personal thing I guess.

18. Skywatcher

I remember it just being sketches in a brochure and dreaming about it :D only here can I share my 'sadness'

19. Skywatcher

Matthew still goes on about the beavers in the lift :D

20. keith

makes me smile just looking at it. I hope they still do the "wonders of the lodge" tour which gives more information on the design and history

Attached Files: