1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

will you be getting an ipad2?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, Feb 24, 2011.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

You're right, but, there's always a but :lol:

I've started actually using my ipad properly now. It's a proper work-a-day device for me. I wander round talking to people, making notes, tasklists, emailing. iphone too small, laptop too large, ipad is great and held in one hand.

Now, when emailing I often want to click a photo of something and send it off but because no camera, I tend to have to use the phone and then I'm stuck with the small keys. I guess I could use the phone, share it somehow or something but still.

We've also taken to facetiming quite a bit because one of the engineers can facetime me, show me the problem and I'll tell him how to fix. So facetime on the ipad would be cool because everyone has the ipads.

So, thinner,lighter,camera and I'd like it. I may not want to spend what I'll need to to upgrade TO it but I'll be tempted.

The other thing to remember is they're fighting for new customers who now have loads of tablets available. Android ones, webos ones and so on. Most with cameras. Some people compare directly on specs so Apple wont want to lose them on something as trivial as a camera :/
  2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

On paper the iPad doesn't sound great- most apple products don't. I wish people could just put 'USE IT AND FIND OUT' in the specs :rotfl: As so many people are put-off by apple stuff from the high prices for seemingly low-spec stuff.

Facetime for mac is the most exciting thing ever- fantastic for me to get in touch with Niamh & Jade when I'm in Orlando :yes:
  3. JStrickPhoto

JStrickPhoto Imagineer

If I could find the 15-page review I read today, I'd post the link. The Android-powered Motorola Xoom and iPad went head-to-head. iPad beat it. The Motorola unit boasted a few advantages but overall, the iPad was chosen for more intuitive OS, ease of use and exceptional battery life.

Not sure why you'd say "most Apple products only sound good on paper". If you look at the specs and actually USE a Mac (desktop or laptop) or compare an iPhone to a Droid-based phone. Then you'd "get it." The Mac line of computers far outperform most consumer desktops and laptops of equivalent specs.

Yes, they tend to cost more, and in some cases double a windows-based model. But, you'll also find they tend to last longer and hold their value much longer.

Performance-wise, no way I would ever go windows again. Being a semi-professional photographer on the side who also dabbles in video, there's no substitute for the rendering power of a Mac.
  4. JStrickPhoto

JStrickPhoto Imagineer

Since they've announced the $100 off existing iPads, I'm surely more tempted now! We'll see how my taxes go and whether or not there will be a little left :)
  5. josh.p.

I think you've misread my post a little bit there- I was saying that they DON'T sound so good on paper :thumbsup: When you use them they are excellent.
  6. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Never got the iPad but loved it when i used a friends.

Tempted to get the second version now but anyone know the cost in the UK yet?
  7. josh.p.

8. Dizneyblonde

Mmm so £429 for a 16gb without 3g...

Or do i wait for the 3 or 4 and get it at the airport next year?

What more could they possibly do or add to it?
  9. keith

Really hard to see what more could be added right now but things move on

I guess higher def screen would be on the cards perhaps better in bright sunlight even thinner and lighter is always good ;) some people want a slide out keyboard but that would be very not-apple

So yeah must admit the iPad 2 and still the 1 actually seem like the best out there
  10. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

I love my iPad but can't say I would want to spend £500+ just to have a camera that I would never use and I don't think that the other extras seem worth the extra cost.
    My dad is thinking of getting the iPad 2 when it comes out as he didn't get the Ipad so I will have a play with his to see what it is like.
  11. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

All things considered, I'm still good with my original iPad. :yes:

About the only thing I can think of that they could add that they haven't already would be the retina display. However, having said that, I have to remember that the iPad is essentially a revolutionary device. It's literally created a market that didn't even exist for all practical purposes just a short while ago. While it may not be apparent right now, I'm sure there's an iPad 3 and 4 and 5 in the pipeline that may well revolutionize the tablet market just as surly as the original iPad created it.

Stay tuned to this station for further developments.

Tom :)macwave:... e pluribus... Apple!)
  12. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

The ipad is the single best bit of techno gadgetry I have ever bought. 9 months on I use it more everyday now than I did when it was fresh and new. Lisa uses hers constantly as well.

Just bought numbers and all 3 of the iWork suite programmes are exceptional on it.

It is a stunning device and I love it more than I ev thought possible.

Will not be getting a 2. Just can't justify it as I have a 64 gb and would not use the 3G model.

I may get a 3 when they come out, and I'd be amazed if plans weren't already afoot somewhere for that, but the reason for upgrading then will almost certainly be improved battery life and improved processor power/ compatibility with latest apps and not because of fairly lights bells and whistles.
  13. keith

Completely agree with that :yes: I'm using mine more and more every day.

I've moved to it completely for ebooks (didnt get on with the kindle) and reference materials.

I dont LOVE the case on the ipad1 so I'm looking forward to a better one on the ipad 2 and thinner/lighter will be nice.

The upgrade isn't a MUST Do by any means and to be honest I'm kinda glad it isnt.

Now, the next thing is the iphone 5. I've stopped using my iphone 4 as the new windows mobile is "nicer" in my eyes and since I have access to all these different devices, I may as well take my pick. What will the 5 bring though! hmmm!
  14. Dizneyblonde

So i should invest in an iPad 2 then?
  15. josh.p.

I'd go with the iPad2, honestly :yes: There's no point in sitting around waiting for the next one to come out really as you may be waiting a fair while and the savings would be minimal. It wouldn't shock me if the next one went up in price and just had 'added value' through different features.
  16. keith

I think for anyone who hasn't got an ipad 1, the 2 is an utterly brilliant purchase :yes: It's the best out there by far and I've seen/played with them all.

Of course the ipad 1 is £100 cheaper now so really is even BETTER value than ever before :lol: plus people like me will be selling their 1's to get a 2 so they'll go down in value too.

If you have an ipad 1 the situation is less obvious. None of the new features are must haves for most people, it's just nicer. So it all comes down to how much you value the latest features and can get for the ipad 1.
  17. josh.p.

I look at it this way; If I was in the market for an iPad, I'd get the iPad 2, but as an upgrade, the iPad 2 just isn't nice enough :shrug:

The only thing that honestly makes me want the iPad2 is the processing power, but mainly just the case :yes:
  18. JStrickPhoto

JStrickPhoto Imagineer

My apologies. You are right, I mis-interpreted your comment so thanks for clearing that up. I get what you were saying now. I read it in a different context
    :)
  19. Dizneyblonde

And of course if i got one it would come in handy for next August...