1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

windows 7 or macosx snow leopard?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by luvthemansion, Jul 9, 2009.

1. luvthemansion

luvthemansion Imagineer

Asking this because I know theres a lot of knowledge out there.

Which is going to be the better system? windows 7 is out for preorder now and should be in shops in october, macosx snow leopard will be out in september.

We're about ready for a new machine but will hold off so we get whichever new system we go for included with the machine.

Which is going to be better?? does anyone know yet ?

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive downloaded windows 7 rc1 not installed it on any pc yet tho

havent got a mac yet so know nothing about macosx

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I've used neither, but if history repeats itself, the mac will be the best.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Actually, in the company I work for, we're working with Windows 7. Initial reports say it's very good. Much better than Vista was (which we promptly booted out the door). I haven't actually laid hands on it myself as yet but I'm scheduled to in the very near future.

Of course, that doesn't answer the question. As I'm sure everyone knows, I'm a Mac bigot. Can't help it. I've worked in technology since 1969 and never found anything that works better. However, I do know that's not the way a lot of world is today. So... if it were me, here's what I'd do.

Get a mac. Snow Leopard, while not providing many outward improvements over Leopard, does have hundreds of improvement and performance tweaks in it. Then, using a combination of Bootcamp and Parallels or VMWare, I'd load another disk partition with Windows 7 when it's released. Same concept as I've currently got with my Mac and Windows XP. That way, I get the best of both worlds and can "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" :thumbsup:

Just my two cents.

Tom :)macwave:... still a Mac bigot.... umm... evangelist)

5. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Sound advice :D

6. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

just a shame you cant put macosx on pc kit and dual boot it with whatever else

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We've been working with both for some time and watched them, and used them, as they've developed.

My heart is with the Mac. I believe that it's a more modern looking and feeling interface, it's more intuitive and nicer to use.

HOWEVER, for anyone who's sitting at home wondering why when they installed vista their pc went all slow, windows 7 is how it SHOULD have been. It's fast, stable, looks nice, feels nice and is a genuine improvement on xp. It's going to be a genuinely nice upgrade for pc folks (although I do believe Microsoft should give a copy free to anyone who they insulted by making them endure the utter disaster that was vista).

Snow leopard is less of a revolutionary upgrade. There's some nice interface upgrades for sure, but the main focus is on speed, size of files and reliability. To that end, they've achieved it already and it's a REALLY worthwhile upgrade for those who can run it (those with older macs will be out of luck this time around sadly, it'll only run on Intel macs). Let's remember that instead of the usual $100 or so, the snow leopard upgrade will be $29 because they want everyone to install it. Bargain really!

As to which one to get, with win7 on a pc and snow leopard on a mac, I think they're once again levelish and it'll come down to personal preference as to which you prefer to use. They'll both do the same jobs and with vista in the garbage and win7 installed, the pc won't frustrate you quite as much ;-)

I have to say I think that the mac will be the more fun to use and has the most exciting things happening on it but at least with win7 windows users will be able to hold their heads high again