1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Wireless Routers

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by josh.p., May 18, 2010.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I've given up on mine now and think perhaps the range is just not good enough to reach my bedroom and that's perhaps the reason for the intermittant connections we get :unsure:

What brand has everyone tried and tested? I've seen the airport extreme and express and think the express would be a good option considering the price. Not sure if I can justify the price of the airport extreme though :unsure:

Current one is a Belkin and I don't want to go back to another Belkin, nothing but trouble!
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

we use the BT home hub one Josh, have very few problems.
  3. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

ive also got the bt home hub and never had any problems
  4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Thought I'd replied earlier but I guess not. Been sick and running a pretty good fever so I'll use that as my excuse.

I've got an Airport Extreme and a couple of Airport Expresses hooked up in a WDS for the past several years.

The whole things been absolutely bulletproof. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
  5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

hope you feel better soon Tom :hug2:
  6. josh.p.

I should have added that I need a DSL one as I'm with virgin media :yes:
  7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i know someone who just signed up with those and the wireless connection is shocking

ive got a linksys, by cisco...you could try netgear also
  8. josh.p.

I've been with them since they where NTL, their internet connection is great but I don't have one of their wireless routers so I probably don't get affected in the same way your friend does. I know lot's of ISPs that provide free wireless routers with their internet connections use really cheap & bad quality routers! :yes:

I've had linksys before and they've been great so I'll give it a try :yes:
  9. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

interesting thread - before they were 'provided' by the company I used belkin and linksys - I've been with companies since dalup - freeserve/wanadoo and now orange and their box is pretty good - and serves the downstairs laptop and mac very well but now I have become more mobile I'm using internet in places I never did before and on places like the patio I do get drop out occasionally - is there any way to 'boost the signal' :unsure:
  10. ukwdwnut

when looking to buy a new router you need to look out for a wireless N variety, and better still if you have wireless n on the laptop the further away you are the better the connection apparently....this is what i found

With Wireless-N, the farther away you are, the more speed advantage you get. It works great with standard Wireless-G and -B equipment, but when both ends of the wireless link are Wireless-N, the gateway can increase the throughput even more by using twice as much radio band, yielding speeds far faster than standard Wireless-G. But unlike other speed-enhanced technologies, Wireless-N can dynamically enable this double-speed mode for Wireless-N devices, while still connecting to other wireless devices at their respective fastest speeds. In congested areas, the "good neighbor" mode ensures that the router checks for other wireless devices in the area before gobbling up the radio band.

this is in respect to my router the

Linksys WAG160N Wireless-N ADSL Modem Router

The Gateway protects your data and privacy with up to 256-bit industrial-strength encryption and 802.1x authentication and authorization. It also has a powerful SPI firewall to protect your computers against intruders and most known Internet attacks. Configuration is a snap with the web browser-based configuration utility.

the only thing i dont like about mine is there is no restart router feature within the routers setup page, you have to reboot it manually. also a bit of a nono if using vista everytime you boot a laptop the router has to be rebooted too, xp and especially win 7 works a treat with this router ive had no problems.....so far ive read on range boosters and they are supposed to work.
  11. josh.p.

My current one has the draft version of Wireless N but not the full version. There are some airport extremes on eBay for some good prices but think I'd rather buy new :yes: Thanks for the info mick, I'll have a look at some linksys ones, we've had them in the past and they've been good.
  12. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I had nothing but trouble with my linksys - I found Belkin better - but to each their own
  13. josh.p.

In all honesty, I think perhaps as the belkin has 'aged' it's signal has just depleted and that is perhaps the problem. Never the less it's sort of put me off Belkin :/
  14. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

For starters, you can do like Mick said and go to a 802.11N router. This alone should significantly boost your range. Beyond that you can setup what's called a WDS. That's a Wireless Distribution System.

We'll give you more info if it gets that far and you need it.
    In the meantime, no use cluttering up the airwaves with static. :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... a new standard every day!)
  15. ukwdwnut

ie another box that looks like a router but its just an access point

say for instance, if your patio is next to your lounge, you setup an accesspoint in your lounge which in reality just collects the signal from the router and passes it onto your laptop in the garden with more of a range. but tbh id just get a wireless n router which will boost the signal, it will only cost a few quid more than an access point
  16. josh.p.