1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

World's largest Legoland taking shape in Florida

Discussion in 'Other Florida Parks and Attractions' started by Isafari, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Legoland officials said Wednesday they are counting on the popularity of the little plastic building blocks to draw families to their newest theme park, which will open this fall near Orlando.

Incorporating as many as 50 million of the iconic Lego bricks in rides and attractions geared toward children 2 to 12, Legoland Florida is under construction in sleepy Winter Haven, a 45-minute drive south of Walt Disney World and the other main Orlando parks. The opening is planned for October, but a firm date has not been set.

It will be the largest of five Legolands in the world and the only one on the U.S. East Coast, with others in California, England, Germany and Denmark, where the toy company was founded.

The 150-acre park is being built on the former site of Cypress Gardens, one of Florida's earliest theme parks. Cypress Gardens opened in the 1930s but closed in 2009, unable to compete with attractions clustered closer to Orlando. Legoland is retaining the old park's gardens and famous water ski shows, and eventually will add its water park to the mix. Also left over from Cypress Gardens is the Flying Island, which raises riders 175 feet in the air for a bird's eye view of the grounds.

[YOUTUBE]ROmZ6sKN4ys&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JS8fmYMIUKw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I dont think we would visit - not unless there was a scheduled trip there as we dont hire a car

Are they still keeping the lego part at dtd do you know? :unsure:

3. chief

chief Earning my ears

i think so im sure they are refurbishing it???? im sure i read that somewhere unless i dreamt it!!! x

4. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

hmm..we are going in October of this year. We will have to keep an eye on this, the kids might love it. Depends on what the rides and shows end up being. I would also take advantage of the lower price, those tickets are a bit steep. :unsure:

5. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

There is a temporary Legoland at DTD at the moment while they make a new and improved permanent Legoland.

I agree that the ticket prices are rather steep!

Don't think we will ever visit though as they say it is aimed at the 3 to 12 year old age group

6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We've been to the one that they have here in Windsor, it was a great day out for Isabelle and she has talked about it loads since we went - we are going back again in May! If its anything like the one they have here, Marc and Katelyn will love it :yes:

7. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

$75 i don't think so!

8. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

That's Owen sorted for a fortnight!

9. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

Might be tempted if Legoland Annual Passes continue to give you free enty into International Parks.

Wont pay to go there though, as I imagine it will be very similar to Windsor, which we go to all the time.

Even one of the rides, The Jungle Coaster has been removed from Windsor and shipped over there.

10. chief

chief Earning my ears

how much is it going to be then? is that $75 per person!!!!