1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Would you drive in Orlando?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by mouseterpiece, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mouseterpiece

mouseterpiece Earning my ears

When we went before we used Disney buses and taxis, as there are the three of us, my husband said he was thinking about driving. I'm not sure if it will be safe for him to drive on the opposite side of the road as he's never done it before.

Is it very difficult or confusing driving over there?

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I always drive over there. It's very easy, and everything is well signposted. There's a large proportion of tourists driving around there at any time remember and they all manage. I've never got lost (except that time I ended up in the drive through bank opposite Downtown Disney) and never had any issues with other drivers. Also having a young child means that if we need to exit the park RIGHT NOW, we don't have to wait for a bus and can just be in the car and off when we want to. :thumbsup:

3. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

I always drive I'm Florida and love it, the roads are so big and easy to understand, I hate coming home to busy rushed English roads.

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I find driving over there a lot more relaxing than here in the UK and as we spend a lot of time in Florida in general [apart from WDW], then a car is a must to us. :yes:

We have a member on this site who has visited WDW loads of times and yet this year was the first time that he decided to take the plunge and hire a car.
    Although very anxious about the whole thing at first, I would be very surprised if he didn`t hire a car on all his visits from now on as it gave him and his wife so much more freedom and allowed him to save a fortune on taxis.

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We always have a car, my DH thinks his legs have been cut off if he doesn't have a car :lol:

I have only just started to drive the last few visits, but then I don't have much confidence, but I did actually find it quite easy. Not sure I would like to be on the I4 at rush hour though :hide:

6. chief

chief Earning my ears

dh said it was very easy to drive and we are definatly hiring a car next year. with 2 children it was a lot easier than relying on other transport

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

This could well be me :D

I was very against hiring a car. I really felt we'd worry about it, we'd be stressed driving in unknown territory and so on.

After all my great friends on here reassured me, we cautiously booked one in May and yep, we will hire one for all our future visits. It's not even a "maybe" it's a definitely positive YES.

Driving over there was very easy, much less stressful than the M6 over here which we navigate each day at rush hour. Parking spots are large enough for a tank :lol:

Financially, well lets just say this. We went to many many more places than we normally did using taxies, and at the end of the holiday we actually came back with dollars spare! That's NEVER happened before :lol:

I'm beyond grateful to everyone here who took the time to patiently reassure me again and again :) and feel more than a little silly for being such a worrier and missing out on the freedom for so many holidays.

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i always drive in orlando, i fing it easier, more relaxing and only took about 10mins to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road.

if your hubs does drive make sure he familiarises himself with the laws as there are a few different laws than over here :)

9. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We never drive over there! we've been 4 times now and have never hired a car, we dont want to go anywhere that an i-ride or bus can get us too, and we never need to get a taxi either! I cant imagine hiring a car and tbh i dont really want too, i drive enough here and quite like a holiday where i dont have to get behind the wheel!

10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Kate, that's exactly what Keith used to say until he rented a car earlier this year and now he is converted :lol:

11. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

:whistle:

12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

:taunt: