1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Would you drive to Disney...

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by foreverducky, Sep 4, 2012.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I know this has been discussed in the past, but would any of you think of driving to WDW, even if it was quite a drive?

I've really come to this point where I hate flying. It has nothing to do with the flying part, but with the fees, security, and I absolutely despise taking off my shoes. Instead of expecting the world to change, I'm thinking of driving during my next trip (not that I have one planned...yet).

:drive: vs :airplane:

2. disney-fan

disney-fan Imagineer

We been driving to Fla for more then 20yrs .It takes us 24hrs we stop in Va.or N C
    I love to drive and to take my family it is cheeper to drive You have to watch out
    for price gougeing on gas We only use well lit stations at night and dont travel to
    far off of rt 95 take a chance drive once

Have Fun Mike

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

We drove :thumbsup: We love it and had a wonderful time :)

I think straight it would take us around 22 hours or so, but since we have little ones (and Mama was 3 or 4 months pregnant), we split it up into smaller pieces. It also gave us time to stop and see a few things on the way, like South of the Border! :D

Other random perks:

Bringing our own water, soda, juice
    We were able to bring extra clothes, shoes etc. without worry
    We got to buy whatever we wanted without having to worry about bringing it on the plane (oh and as much as we wanted ;) )

I'm sure there are a ton of other things, but that should be enough for now..are you sold yet? :lol:

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

How far do you have to travel Billie?

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Have driven in the past (from NY). It's a good way to go if you don't want to fly for any reason. Trains can be another good alternative if they work for you. They are no where near as reliable as driving yourself though.

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Here's another vote for driving! :drive:

We live about an 8 hour drive away from WDW and I wouldn't even dream of doing anything but driving. I enjoy the drive and by now, we've done it so often that we have all our little landmarks on the way. That helps break the trip up some. But beyond that, it's nice to just motor down the highway and actually see the scenery instead of soaring high above it. It's faster to fly but driving to us has it's own special charm.

Tom :)macwave:... race ya!)

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We drive most of the time. From home, if we go straight to WDW it takes about 14-15 hours. Since I've gotten older I really don't like to drive that long so we normally break it into 2 parts. We've also taken the Auto Train in one direction (coming home) but will be doing it in both directions next month. If we don't drive straight through we normally stop somewhere in NC (if we leave after work) or around Santee, SC. If we are going to stop at Donna's mom's on the way to WDW then, if we get an early start, we'll drive straight through to her house in No. FL. However, she is talking about moving to Mississippi to be near her sister so that would eliminate that stop. :sorry:

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

This thread reminds me of a reputedly true story that came from one of the employees at Manchester airport.

Apparently an old couple rolled up at the airport to take their first flight to the U.S.
    On arriving at the airport they asked where they should put their car and they were then given direstions to the car park.
    "But we are going on a fly drive holiday" the old guy replied, blissfully unaware that this didn`t involve him taking his car over the pond with him. :lol:

9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Google map says it would be between 19-20 hours.

Good to know that I wouldn't be the only crazy one out there driving. :D

I had thought about amtrak, but from where I'm at they would drive me all the way up to Chicago, IL and then back down to FL. That would be a lot of back tracking. Not to mention, I had a friend ride amtrak recently and she said the bathrooms were disgusting (and she rode long distance).

Even though I drove 17 hours to get here I don't think I could do that again, so I would have to break it up.

10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It's 12 hours from my house to WDW. We've driven plenty of times. I prefer to fly. When I drive, I take forever cause I have to stop and look at everything

11. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I would drive from here if I could, if only if it wasnt for that stupid ocean!! :lol:
    But honestly if I lived in a 1 or 2day driving distance away I would definitely do it, I would love stopping off and visiting places on the way and just to be able to bring back anything I wanted would sell it to me!

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Call me weird, but we actually like flying. We don't fly often so it is a rare treat for us. It is a poke to WDW as with Johnie, about 12 hours. I would be too tired the next day to really enjoy the park so we suck it up and we can get direct flights from Newport News, Va (at least we could, airport may actually close.).

13. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Ha ha ha Lisa so would I!!! If we lived in the states we would probably drive each time and try to find different weird and wonderful places to visit on the way there and back :D

:wiggle:

14. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Well now having gone on and on about driving, I do have to admit that I think we might be flying this next trip :unsure: The problem with driving now is the extra 5 days on the road with Katie being in school. We can either have her out of school for 7 days and spend 7 in the parks (5 on the road ), or if we fly we can have her out of school for 6 days and spend 10 in the park! Thanks to Veteran's day we get an extra one :yes: Our next trip we are going to have to do it over an extended break so we can drive.

15. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Drove from Chicago to Disney seven times.
    Flew from Chicago to Disney six times.

Drove from Minneapolis to Disney once.
    Flew from Minneapolis to Disney five times.

Now that we live in Ft Myers we drive all the time.

I much prefer driving!!

16. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Not to hijack this thread but Shelly have you ever used Magic Express with your children? Must you have a car seat to board the bus?

17. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

We always used to drive and just made it part of the vacation and not something to suffer through!!We always would stop at Tamarack in West Virginia to eat and shop! It was a ball!!!

18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I love Tamarack!! We always stop there on the way to my grandma's in Kentucky.

When we do drive, we leave late afternoon and drive to Brunswick Georgia and spend the night. It's about 3 or so hours to WDW from there. It makes the vacation easier to be more rested the day we arrive.

19. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I have driven to Disney at least 10 times including 3x in the last 13 months. In fact we just got home from WDW Sunday around midnight. We used to stop off in Georgia but the last 4 times we have driven straight thru to Florida. The other day was the first time we drove straight home from Florida. It was a bit much but the wife wanted to get home. I don't like flying but will do so if necessary, my wife doesn't like to fly and my 11 year old daughter says she doesn't want to fly so I guess driving to WDW is in my future.
    As for the drive down we usually leave NYC at 1am in order to avoid DC traffic. Usually once you pass the middle of Va there is no traffic. We also like to get to Fla a few days before we start our Disney vacation so we can rest and relax before we do the parks.

20. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

As John said, we've done it many times. John would probably prefer to fly, but to be honest, it's getting to the point where I absolutely dread getting on a plane. I'm in near panic mode the whole time I'm on the plane. So the auto train is a good alternative for us since we discovered that being on the upper level of the train helps to keep me from feeling the movement.