1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

wrist band mini-report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, Jan 9, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

The December 2013 trip was mostly spent offsite at a villa but we did spend 4 nights at the contemporary. Sure enough, my disney experience popped up with an invitation to customise the bands a couple of months before the reservation. I chose the colours and names, that was about it. I guess since we're in the UK they didnt sent out the bands, rather they said they'd be available to pick up at the resort.

When we got to the contemporary, we did all the checkin stuff and he said oh we have a present for you, went away and came back with the box everyone's seen with the bands in.

He'd already given us the RFID room keys so in a way the bands seemed like a bit of an extra thought rather than an only option.

In terms of quality, theyre "OK" and with the range of extra customisations sold at the shops Im sure they'll be a huge hit! It does save carrying cards around for sure although I found it a little uncomfortable (but that says more about me than the bands)

In use they worked fine for us for the whole vacation although I would say that they were sometimes less convenient than the cards! by that I mean, we'd return to the room and normally have the card in our hands ready to swipe and done, this time we'd get to the room and contort our wrists to the mickey ear and nothing. So then we'd have to put everything down, pull up our sleeves and mess around putting the band directly against the sensor. It seems to really need a perfect touch in exactly the right place.

Getting into the park was easy, put the band to the first stalk then when the white light flashes fast, finger to the reader and it worked every time. Much faster than the old system certainly. I should say though that there were always queues with CMs calling for other CMs to help because some band or other wasnt working. I guess these are just teething problems.

We were all wondering if they'd add annual passes to the bands even though that would mean the band would work for access after the resort stay? Well yes, I have my annual pass added and it worked for the whole holiday even when I wasn't staying onsite. When I said to the CM that it was interesting, she said well that's how APs will be done in future anyway. (my AP rfid card also worked so having the band didn't stop me using the card and vice versa).

The only problem I had was, we wanted to use some of the AP benefits... discount at a shop and tables in wonderland at another time and both occasions the CMs stropped and said they wanted to "see" an annual pass. I Said it's on the band? and they got stumped until another CM came and explained they just used their band reader. So, just a training issue but sometimes not being able to SEE what's actually on the band is a bit of a pain as I'd like to verify things like that for myself before I stamp my feet and insist its there! Perhaps my disney experience could list in a simple list format whats on the band?

All in all, cute idea and it'll just get better with use I guess. On the privacy issues, you can turn off what it broadcasts, to some extent, in my disney experience. A recent disassembly of the bands shows they're using a battery and a strong RFID sender chip soooooo even though we needed to get very close to the door to let us in, there may well still be some security concerns. For example, when walking round the malls it was AMAZING how many people had bands on. I know many shops are already tracking rfid credit cards and ID cards to see where people go as they browse and it doesn't matter that they can't necessarily see your name, all they need to get is something like "ID: 121920123" and then as soon as you check out they can say ah ha! so 121920123 is actually Dave! and then they have loads of info.

Disney claim it's secure and I've not seen anyone claim otherwise yet though.

Wendy, Tony G and MystikPiglit like this.
  2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Couple of questions, Keith. :)
    Could you not have taken the band off to use on your room lock, or are they too difficult to open?
    DH will definitely not wear one, he hates anything on his wrist. What would his option be?

3. keith

COULDVE taken it off but a bit of a hassle ... it's not that it didn't work it was just awkward

At the MOMENT you'll either get automatically or can ask for, an rfid card as well so that would be his option

I must admit I dont usually mind stuff on my wrist but I dont like the party wrist bands (hate in fact). I'd say the magic bands were better than those but still a pain

4. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Thanks, Keith. If the bands are the only option by the time we go, I guess he'll have to just put it in his pocket.
    I don't suppose you know if there are any health concerns with having that tech against your body?

5. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Great review Keith, thanks for taking the time.

How big are they? Are the sizes customisable?

6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

This is where having children comes in handy :) Whenever we'd get within 30 feet of the room, they'd start jockeying for position to be the first one there so they could open the door. I don't think I opened the door the entire trip! Wait, yes I did. After our dinner at Yachtsman...but if I was going in the room, I was taking the wristband off anyway, so I just took it off and held it up against the door.

See? I'm just the opposite. I DETEST anything on my wrists, but after I "situated" the band properly, it didn't bother me much at all. I just couldn't have the "chip" on top of my wrist, I had to wear it to the side.

Think watch size, IMO. Not huge, quite lightweight really. The sizes are somewhat customizable in that they come in a single standard size, but are "notched" so you can take them in for a slimmer wrist - I like mine loose, so I think I wore it on the 3rd to last notch, whereas my DD (15) wore hers on the second notch (she has very slim wrists and likes them snug). Another feature is that, for children or VERY small wrists, you can pull the the colored band out of the surrounding gray band to make the overall band smaller...this worked great for my daughter as it removed a bit of the bulk.

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We had absolutely NO problems using our bands on our room. I, however, was constantly getting denied entry to the parks until after I had tried it at least 3 times. One time at EPCOT they had to get a CM to help me. We have APs, which were tied to our bands, and we were down there at the same time as Keith. I don't remember being asked to show my AP anytime I used my band including with my TIW. One convenient feature was that when we went to visit other resorts to take pictures of their Christmas decorations, the gate guards all had readers, the scanned your band and in you went. Only CBR was a problem. She said her reader wasn't working and demanded (not asked) our room key. When I told her we didn't have one it was like "well everyone has a room key". She finally asked, rather gruffly for some sort of picture ID. Before she told me that her reader wasn't working she very snottily told me that I couldn't visit other resorts without a picture ID. It was after I told her that we had been to several resorts that day with no problems.

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I wasn't asked to show my AP (as it was tied to the band) but I still had to show my picture id.

I wear my watch in my left wrist so had to wear the band on my right wrist. It fits sort of awkward as it's not completely round more like an oval shape. The band worked in most places though it took several tries. The only issue I had was driving back to the resort and trying to get into the gate. The gate is on the left hand side of the car and again my band is on my right wrist. I had to take the band off to scan it. The band doesn't come off very easily (which is a good thing)

9. keith

yeah I forgot that, I was wondering WHY it was a bit awkward and its because the actual battery/rfid bit makes it square on one side

yeah we had that at the contemporary.... had to remove the band to let it be scanned and the poly demanded id anyway

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I tried to wear my band along with my watch but it was cumbersome. Even when I did have the band on my left wrist it would not read correctly trying to go into the resort. I had to take it off.

11. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

It'd be great if they had one that incorporated a watch into it...... Kind of like those wristband style watches you can get for £1 at Prim ark!

12. Johnie

THIS is genius!!

13. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

It'd just kill two birds with one stone. I'd suggest it to WDW but I've no idea how to.

14. keith

I wish they'd done that ! it would've cost cents to do and made the thing slightly more useful

15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

But then what would we use our phones for?!?!!?!

Oh wait...PHOTOS!

16. Johnie

Oh man this reminds me....everyone always asks why I still wear a watch since I have a cell phone. Well,I like wearing a watch, it has Mickey on it. Last May, my watch died while we are at WDW. I tried to rely on my phone. Nope, battery drains too quickly and I'm stuck not having a clue what time it is.

17. keith

yeah DW has a mickey watch and likes to wear it and I've always enjoyed watches too. Of course there's the new smart watches which talk to the smartphones and show stuff on the watch itself which can be useful

18. Johnie

What!?!?

I think I'll stick with this [​IMG]

keith likes this.
  19. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It has a silly name though :lol:

20. Johnie

It's sillier than Smart Watch?