1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

xmas dining

Discussion in 'General' started by sparky3003, Feb 13, 2010.

1. sparky3003

sparky3003 Earning my ears

Hi me and my faimily are staying at disney this coming christmas and wondered if we have to book in advance before traveling for xmas dinner.Also is there anywhere that people can reccommend.We are staying at the port orleans french quarter.Does anyone know much about the mickeys christmas parade.Thanks in advance great website:yes:
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Welcome and thanks for the kind words about the site :yes:

Definitely book in advance for Christmas dinner and any other meals you want to eat on site during that whole period! It's easy to do online.

Places to recommend depends what you're after really? What kind of price? what kind of food etc?

Port orleans french quarter is excellent you'll love it :)
  3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Welcome to Secrets :wave:
    Christmas at WDW is fantastic. Crowded but absolutely brilliant at the same time :yes:
    You definately have to book in advance for any meals on christmas day if you want table service. Restaurants often have signs outside saying that it is reservations only.
    If you just want a counter service then this is fine but expect quite a hefty line to wait in.

Will you have children with you? Do you want a character meal? Will you be in a park Christmas day or are you thinking of an onsite restaurant out of the parks?
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There are many decisions to make before you try for an ADR (Disney-speak for reservation). Once you've narrowed it down, keep it as flexible as possible and then call at exactly 180 days out from the day. :yes:
  5. sparky3003

Hi thanks for the speedy replies.There will be me my wife and my two kids.they will be 7,12 by the time we travel.I would prefer a table service really but depends on how expensive.We are planning on going to magic kingdom on christmas day and would like to see the mickey's very merry christmas parade.I have seen the tickets for this go on sale in the spring so will book these.
  6. Isafari

Not sure if i'm picking you up right on the parade.....if you want to go to MK for Christmas day and see the Christmas parade, you don't need any ticket other than your entry tickets. You will see the parade and the Christmas shows with no extra charge.

If you want to go to the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party....then it is a seperate ticket event. This party happens on select dates in the evenings but finishes around 19th December.

MK often closes due to full capacity on Christmas day too so be prepared to arrive fairly early in the day.
  7. Tink

Ah yes. Issy, I think you've got it. I was confused by the Parade thing too! But I've not ever done the Very Merry Christmas Party, do didn't put it together.

So! As our Issy says, you don't need a special ticket for the Christmas parade. It happens in MK on a schedule (weather permitting of course) that is pre-published so you can kind of plan when to see it.

As for the meal, WDW raises its prices for meals during the holiday season. :( So, you will be paying roughly, depending upon where you choose to go (for table service) $35 per adult (not including extras like appetizers, drinks and dessert). If you choose a counter service place, it will be about half that, again depending upon what you have to eat.

Alcohol is not served in the MK, so if having a glass of wine is a factor (or any alcohol for that matter) with your dinner, then you'll need to be aware that you'll not have the option for it, in the MK. No cost for it then either, eh? :D

I've never eaten at a table service there, so can't really recommend anything to you.

There are several resorts quite near the MK, but keep in mind if you leave to have a meal, you very well may not be able to get back in because of the high attendance. However, by the time you are ready for a meal, you well may be happy to not return! :)

I would think that Artist Pointe (in Wilderness Lodge) would be a beautiful place to have Christmas Dinner. It is a "signature" restaurant, with a gourmet flair to its American offerings. The service is excellent. You'll take a boat (for the easiest) from the MK to the resort.

There are other places of course, 1900 Park Fare, Citrico's, Narcoosee's, 'Ohana, Kona Cafe, California Grill, The Wave, Chef Mickey's, and the extremely expensive Victoria and Albert's, all table service or buffets... all quite popular so if you want one of them for your dinner, book it as soon as possible.
  8. sparky3003

Hi again thankyou all for your replies.We are arriving on the 16th so should be able to see mickeys very merry xmas.I shall have a look at the menus to narrow down our choice sounds value for money though for xmas day.We will be getting to the park when it opens as my kids don't lay in especially on xmas day.Is there anything else anyone can recommend for our stay besides xmas day?
  9. Isafari

The parade and shows that you will see on Christmas day are the same as the ones shown at the Christmas party.

There are other Christmas delights to be seen at the other parks too.
    The Osborne Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Mickey's Jingle Jangle Parade at Animal Kingdom, The story of Christmas told by Father Christmas in many of the countries at the World Showcase in Epcot, Candlelight Processional at Epcot etc.
  10. Tink

Yes, there are loads of special events for the entire Christmas season.

The World Showcase in Epcot is one of my favorite places. It has a Santa figure or story teller for each country. It's a lovely day going from country to country listening to the stories, meeting the different Santas/Father Christmases, Pere Noels... and having a bite too of special food. :yes: There will be hot cider, cookies etc.

The Osbourne (Not Ozzy :D )Spectacle of Lights is well worth doing, at least once. :yes: Lights like you won't believe, and again, special food, drinks, etc.

WDW at Christmas is an incredibly special place.

Don't overlook the small things either. There is usually a small display in DTD of the different versions of the "Christmas" story... or holidays at that same time like Hannukah, and Ramadan (later, but it's represented) and Kwanzaa... a nice little interlude, and a bit educational as well.

There is the DTD Christmas store too. :lol: You will be MOBBED going there, at that time, but it's such a fun place. Loads of Disney related Christmas and Hannukah decorations. :yes:

If I were going to have Christmas Dinner in MK (having never dined there before) I think I'd go with Tony's... but then maybe not. See? I'm useless. :sigh:
  11. sparky3003

Hi we are now thinking of booking our christmas day meal and would like a table service dinner or maybe a buffet at magic kingdom or nearer to the french quarter anyone got any suggestions?.
  12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

At the MK there is a buffet served at the Crystal Palace. Table service is available at the Castle, Tony's, and Liberty Tree Tavern. At Port Orleans Boatwright's Restaurant provides table service. You need to book 180 days in advance.
  13. Tink

We had Christmas dinner at Boatwright's twice, actually. It was long ago (10 years or more) and was very good!

Not sure how it is now, though.