1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Your First Trip to Walt Disney World

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Wendy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

When was the first time you visited Walt Disney World and what do you remember about it.

Our first trip was in September 1995 and we stayed offsite at the Sheraton World Resort across the road from SeaWorld.

This was actually Chris' first ever trip abroad and he was only going because it had always been a dream of mine to go to Disney one day. He had no interest in Disney whatsoever and it took a few years before he caught the magic.

I remember sitting on the monorail and seeing Cinderella Castle for the first time and getting butterflies and then when we walked under the bridge into Main Street and the Castle was right in front of me I burst into tears. It was a surreal moment, I knew I was there, but it seemed as if I was dreaming.

We were complete novices, we never had a PC back then and the only thing we had was the good old Unofficial Guide to WDW. We had 14 days and tickets for the whole time we were there and we made the most of every second. We were at one of the parks for rope drop and didn't leave until it closed. When I look back now, I think we must have been crazy :lol:

I fell in love with the whole place, as I said in a previous thread I got an autograph book and went round getting autographs and Chris taking my picture - the days before photopass. Occasionally we would find someone to take a photo of both of us. I remember Jafar making me kiss his hand and then bend my head so he could use it as a table, King John walking away with the book and pen and me chasing after him like a child laughing like mad. I must look through those old photos :)

We sat with a lovely couple from New Jersey who were seasoned visitors to watch MSEP and they told us about things we shouldn't miss.

Going to Epcot was just amazing, neither of us had ever been anywhere like it before.

The final day at WDW I wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom, when the time came to leave, I sat on the kerb outside the station and I didn't want to go, finally as we walked away, with tears streaming down my face I told myself then that some day, some way, I would be back.

The rest as they say is history.

Figment and Watchinherskip like this.
  2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

it was beginning of October 1997, Daniel had just turned 3. Jon's sister worked for Virgin at the time and we had got standby flights for the cost of the tax which was £19 each!!! Flew into Miami and spent a couple of nights there, then drove to Englewood- west coast and stayed in a villa, then drove up to Orlando and stayed in one of the days inns - maingate east or west cant remember. We went to seaworld on the first day then to the 3 parks (no AK at that time)! I fell in love instantly and was wowed by the whole thing. I thought this would be a once in a lifetime thing. Never stopped talking about it to friends and family and anyone who would listen!! We didn't know anything at that time about Disney and we didn't have internet so we just winged it. Does anyone remember the tshirt printing place in tomorrowland? it was Jon's birthday when we were there and Daniel and I got him a tshirt with Simba on it printed for his birthday!

3. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well it was a long long time ago....1988 BC (before children). DW Sally and I saved enough money teaching to treat ourselves to the holiday. We went over Thanksgiving. We stayed at the Disney Inn (now Shades of Green). We were overwhelmed with the beauty of the place. Our first sight, the rows of rocking chairs near the bus ramp. The size and decor of the room were fantastic. To be honest I don't remember too much about the parks from that trip other that to know it was just awesome. What I do remember vividly was the seemingly overnight transformation of our resort, the Poly and the parks to the full Christmas mode. When We awoke on the Friday after Thanksgiving, there was a huge christmas tree in the hall of our resort right there on our wing. We were on the ground floor and had a patio open to the golf course. It was lovely. I was certainly hooked at that first trip and have been thrilled to go each and every time since.

I see that we are getting close again to having enough money to pay for our WDW resort rooms and tickets. Won't be long now...maybe next year we will take our girl back to the Happiest Place on Earth...she is graduating from university and that would be a nice reward.

4. Watchinherskip

By the way....brilliant question!!! Kudos.

5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Ours was for our honeymoon in 2001. Our first day at the Magic Kingdom is one we will never forget. The date was September 11th 2001. We were staying off site, and on our bus transfer in the morning we'd heard there'd been a plane crash into one of the twin towers. As we got off the bus we were all chatting about what a horrible accident it had been.

As we walked up Main Street for the first ever time, we were amazed by it, as you can imagine. We started chatting to a CM about what we should do for the day as it was our first visit. At that point an announcement came over the loud speakers that the Magic Kingdom was being evacuated and to leave as quickly as possible. At this point we had no idea about the second plane going into the towers. The CMs were amazing. They looked quite panicked but at no point did they convey that to us, as they got us out of the park in a calm and efficient manner. We were also given one day re entry tickets.

Fortunately our shuttle bus driver, upon hearing MK had shut down, turned the bus around and came to pick us up.

We later found out that George Bush was in Florida at the time, and Disney was concerned that they would be a target. I believe it is one of the few times the Magic Kingdom has been evacuated.

It certainly was a memorable day, one never to be forgotten.

6. Watchinherskip

Oh my, that was something. Guess one can never forget the timing of that first trip.

7. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

The first time ever at Disney was in 1976 as part of our honeymoon. The MK was the only park open they hadn't even started building Epcot then. I know we stayed somewhere on I drive. We took the boat over from the parking lot and that first sight of the castle is something neither of will ever forget!

In my photo album from that trip I still have a couple of the old paper tickets we didn't use that day including one E ticket LOL.

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Our first visit was in the early 80`s [1982 I think], and we also stayed at the Sheraton World Resort.
    We had booked a two centre holiday....one week in Orlando and another week in St.Petersburg.
    Sadly just before we left, a hurricane [Helena?] almost flattened St. Petersburg so we were given the option of spending the 2nd week in Orlando, or in Fort Lauderdale.
    We chose the latter option so that we could see a bit more of Florida....big mistake !!!
    On arrival at our beachfront hotel, I had just started to relax in a chair at the hotel overlooking the ocean when a guy on the sidewalk walked past and asked me if I wanted some "coke", which apparently was "fresh in from Miami today". !!!!
    I declined the offer....I had my own anyhow. :lol:

9. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

October 1979.

I was eight years old and we stayed at the Polynesian Village, as it was called then. It was the first of many more stays here throughout the years. We drove down from Chicago with my parents, sister (4yrs old) and grandparents (mother's side). We were all in the same vehicle (Chevy Suburban). It was a two week trip with 5 nights at WDW. Now at this time there was only the Magic Kingdom, River Country and Discovery Island. I remember seeing the Hoop Dee Doo, called Pioneer Hall Revue at a cost of $14 per adult and $7 per child at the time. BTMRR was still under construction, I remember seeing that from the train and I remember seeing lots of characters and getting their autographs. We ate at Crystal Palace when it was still open air. Lots of sparrows flying around. I don't think it was a buffet at the time and it wasn't a character meal.

My favorite memory from that trip involved me and my Grandpa. We were eating at the Poly. Then they had a restaurant in the building were the old arcade used to be and snack shop used to be (where Neverland Club is now). I remember the menus not smelling that great and I was not feeling good so my grandpa took me out and we went next store to the arcade. After the arcade we went to the snack shop (located in between the arcade and restaurant. Nothing special...counter service and then they had picnic tables to sit on inside. I think it was screen in as well. So after about 60-90 minutes of this we decided to head back to the room. We were staying in the Hawaii building which at that time was the center building between the 2 pool areas. So we went walking, and walking, and walking, and we then realized we had already walked through this area......we were lost. LOL! We kept walking around a bit more and then we heard my Mom and grandma calling at us from the balcony of our room. Yeah! That's what you used to have to do before cell phones.

Wendy and Watchinherskip like this.
  10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I love reading these, thank you for sharing :)

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

My first trip was as an adult. My parents always said WDW was too expensive. My dad is a computer programmer so we always had a home computer. Now I know why we didn't have any money lol.

I had bought the Cinderella VHS and there was an advert inside for a Disney vacation. $1500 for the whole package. I thought it was a steal! We planned to go for Alysia's 5th birthday. It was March 1996. It was me, Alysia and my grandma. We drove down. We stayed in Ocala for a couple of days visiting my grandmas sister. Then we headed over to WDW.

When I had been planning over the phone, I was told we would be staying in one of Disney's budget resorts. We pulled up to Dixie Landings and I was blown away. This was no Econo Lodge!!! Everything was just beautiful and the attention to detail was utterly amazing.

The first time we went to MK, it was a good thing my grandma was with us. I spotted Winnie the Pooh and ran to go see him. Seriously I ran lol. I cried when I walked into MK for the first time.

That March there was a ridiculous cold snap and we about froze to death. We had to buy sweatshirts and those little stretchy gloves that usually cost $1 (but were $5 as we were at the parks). Alysia's little cheeks were apple red and I asked her if she wanted to go back to the hotel. Nope, not at all.

We had a reservation at King Stefan's banquet hall for lunch (pre CRT). We met Cinderella and Suzy the mouse in the lobby. When they called our name for lunch, we got in the elevator. Well, Cinderella and Suzy got on with us. Alysia was a somewhat shy child (can you believe that?!) anyway, the look on her face was priceless. You could tell she wanted to say something but couldn't. Then all of a sudden out came, "areyougoingtohavelunchwithus?!" Cinderella was SO sweet and told her that she would love to but she had koans with the prince. Alysia still remembers that.

12. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    My first trip was in 1981 and the only park was MAGIC KINGDOM everything about the trip was exciting wet and wild ,Sea world,Kennedy spacecentre,McDonald's,Wendy's,big boys.flew to Miami stayed at st PETE'S BEACH

13. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

It was bugging me that I couldn't remember the names of these places but I finally found the information:

The restaurant was called - Tangaroa Terrace
    The snack shop was called - The Snack Isle
    The arcade was called - Moana Mickey's

Phew....I feel better now. :)