1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Zakynthos, Greece.

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Ursula, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

An extremely miniscule trippette with no pics this time.

Well daft as it may sound we found ourselves packing our suitcases again barely after emptying them from a few weeks before. We were extremely lucky to be able to jet off on a shorter haul flight to the Greek Island of Zakynthos for two weeks, thanks to Val the Travel Counsellor here who pulled a minor miracle out of her hat for us. As it was short haul we opted for economy plus there were no upgraded seats on the plane at all, I did ask. We set off for Birmingham airport at 2am and got there before our check in desks had opened, we were first in line and got the bulkhead seats we requested. We'd opted for no food on this flight so took our own, we flew with Thomas Cook and it was cramped... glad it wasn't an 8 to 10 hour flight. We did it in 3 1/2 hours... as we were leaving the plane I yelled to the air hostess.. not a bad flight and landing..... for a man!... then all of a sudden a grinning pilot sticks his head around the corner and says... Have a lovely holiday! :point: LOL! I never learn!
    Oh boy the heat.... it was like being back in Barbados! Zakynthos decided to have a heatwave while we were there for the whole two weeks, it was in the 40's the whole time, got browner than when I was in Barbados! and it was weird.. it was a different brown colour and so was DH's colour... he almost went pure black, I have never seen him so dark.

The Hotel was self catering and we had a little kitchinette area and the fridge kept all the drinks icy cold so we were well happy! The supermarket was right next door and we were right in the heart of the hustle and bustle of the main restaurants and shops. Only twice did my hackles go up, we'll come to that!

We found a real gem of a place to eat after a couple of goes at other places so once we found this place we stuck to it. We got so friendly with them all here and the owner that when we sat down to eat we were given free starters each time and free desserts and fruit and wine. We don't drink wine any of us but we didn't want to offend so hard as it may seem to some of you we really struggled to put it away. One guy there took a shine to DD (again!) You won't believe this but he was African descent and he was called John also! What are the blinkin' odds ay?... anyways she wasn't interested because of the other John, even though this John tried everything other than dance a fandango on the table to get her attention... me and DH just chuckled to ourselves. We don't need calls from Mexico, Barbados AND Greece coming in...
    We went on a 7 hour boat trip around the Island... stopping off at little bays to swim, unfortunately we had to listen to a constant running commentary from Kostas Constantine.. the WHOLE 7 hours... he barely stopped for breath... oh for a bebe gun....
    Anyways... Hackle time.... we get on the very crowded boat (which had a swimming pool on it) make our way to the front and all the seats around the helm? of the boat are taken, fair enough I don't have a problem with that... but this is where I DID have a problem... ho hum... The plastic chairs facing the sea had all been pulled to the edge by the people on those seats... and they all had either their feet or bags on them. So we stood there... and stood... I looked around and said to those closest to me.. "Are these seats available?" two guys said sure go ahead, so that freed up ONE seat... I looked at a woman next to him and she had her feet on a chair I said "Is this one available?" No she says.... "Oh why? are you using it for your feet then?" Yes she said... (blue touch paper time) "Oh I'm so sorry" I said "and you are Princess who?" "Give me that" and I just pulled it from her feet.... she didn't say a word... but the two lads next to her, who weren't with her began snickering lol. Grrr some people are beyond selfish. She never said a word to me which was just as well. God I'm going to have to get me a bebe gun....

She was quite prepared for us to stand the whole 7 hours.....

Anyways.... we had a fabulous day otherwise but didn't see any promised turtles but we did see the trickoise sea... (Kostas couldn't pronounce turquoise lol so from henceforth the turquoise sea in our house is called trickoise!) Part Two later.....
  2. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:slap: Some people honestly! Can't wait to hear more.
  3. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

Zante fantastic island have done 8 greek islands inclding couple we needed to get the flying dolphins to. Loved Zante and Skiathos the best though
    Kim
  4. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Some people. Sounds great Helly. We did main land Greece in a heatwave. Never again.
  5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

No pictures? :sorry:

People can be so rude and inconsiderate. I would have taken the chair too :tongue:

Looks like your DD may need to get her own phone line for all the international lover boys to call her :tongue:
  6. Val

Val Disney Secrets

Great reading about your hols honey
  7. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Great to hear you had a great time!! Do NOT get that tan out to make us jealous :nono:

I would've been the same with you in the boat and chair scenario. I apply my "Paddington Stare" first, and then if there's no respopnse I'm straight in there!
  8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Can't wait to see the pics :yes: I was in stitches reading about the chair-hogger!