14 long years later...

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Tink, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We're back to Ireland!

Our cases came today! :yes: I also found a pair of walking shoes that will work for me while there (and here, too of course). THAT was a major task to accomplish. I am totally miserable to fit, but managed it. For a price. :eek:

We've made arrangements for where we'll be staying, and hopefully will stick to that general route. We'll be doing a few train trips, and at least one DART trip.

So, into Dublin, DART to the coast, train to Cork, car to Kinsale and points east, west... then to Lisdoonvarna. Do you have the song stuck in your head? :D Then off way north to Letterfrack with many day trips from there, as north at least, to Donegal. Then Sligo to drop the car and train back to Dublin. Then a train to Belfast and a tour bus to Giant's causeway and Carrick rede bridge, but I'm beyond excited to see Dun Luce! Can you hear Gary Moore's crying guitar?

Much room for spontaneity, day trips here and there, and poking around little villages. We are DEFINITELY going to Ballylickey! How cute is that for a village name, huh? :D :D

We'll have meals out, and buy lovely things to cook at our given self catering places, and have some packed food to carry with us on those day trips. Much, much walking is planned (hence the new, ugly, but very comfortable walking shoes).

Soooooo! We fly on 30 March, and if you have any suggestions for places to see and eat, tell me please! :D

Dublin, we'll definitely visit Trinity again. I think it's my favorite place. We love to just walk around the city and poke here and there. I'd like to see the Beatty museum, and do some other museums. Still not sure how far south we'll take the DART. Perhaps all the way to Wicklow! Maybe just to Dalkey, maybe north to Howth, etc.

Cork, we'll definitely do the English Market and the walking tour (self tour) of the city. We'll explore Kinsale on foot and do a drive to Cobh, and maybe further east, not sure. Definitely west to the peninsulas (we've already done Ring of Kerry so won't be doing that again) Dingle, maybe some other drives along that line.

Herself is beyond excited to have a "Hawk Walk" planned. There are several options but I think we'll do the one in Cong after we get to the Dolphin View Self catering house in Letterfrack. It's right on the oceanside cliff, so we know we are going to love that.

Connemara National Park, looking for the ponies... so many things to do!

As I may have mentioned before, this is our first proper vacation ALONE! in 21 years! It's also our honeymoon, and our celebration of 20 (albeit 21 by the time we get there) years together, AND my milestone birthday. OIY!

I sure hope I'm not boring anyone!

I'll post more, if you'd like to hear about it. :yes: Probably mostly when we return as we're not planning on taking too many communication devices. :D

67 days and counting!

2. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    Good grief Tink, you'll need a holiday to get over that one. It sounds absolutely wonderful and how lovely to have a honeymoon in Ireland. Hope you both have a fantastic trip and please don't overdo it.

3. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    That sounds truly wonderful :) I can't wait to hear more about it! :yes:

4. Isafari

Isafari Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow, I'm exhausted just reading about it. The trip sounds wonderful and you've done lots of research.....it will be AMAZING

5. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous trip. And I had no idea that Ireland had trains. My one lone trip I had my own car with me (thank heavens for a front seat passenger) and we drove all over Ireland, not making it to Northern Ireland however. It is a gorgeous country. Unfortunately we did not play our trip accordingly and didn't get to spend any time in Dublin.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    I think someone sounds just a little bit excited!

7. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    That sounds great Tink.
    I`m really looking forward to hearing all about your trip as I have only spent a few days at a few places in both Northern and Sothern Ireland during business trips and so did not get much chance to do any sight- seeing.
    Any chance you will sneak in a trip to England while you are almost here?

8. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Well-Known Member

Housewife.
    Wow, that's going to be one heck of a celebratory trip. :)

9. Tink

Awww, no Slowhand. We'll be spending every minute in Ireland. We had a long discussion about this trip. Where to go, how to do it, that sort of thing. We decided on Ireland as there was so much we didn't see. We also decided on being "alone" as we've never really done that before! We did have a cruise or two, without family members along, but somehow those didn't really "count."

We talked about Italy. Herself was surprised that I chose Ireland, since we've been there before, but I'm not ready for Italy yet. We also talked about doing Great Britain, but Ireland won out over all. :yes:

It sounds like a busy trip, but at any give "leg" we can slow right down and rest if we need to. One of the beauties of self catering, eh?

Herself is worried about the new cases as she says they are SMALL! :lol: I'm ok with that as we have washers and dryers in each self catering, so no problems there, eh? :D

We've checked the average temperatures and it seems Ireland in April is essentially low to mid 50s during the day and high 30s or so at night. Will be bringing the lined, full length coat! :D

Not sure if I'll bother with the small collapsible umbrella... seems like it would be a waste on seashore with the ocean winds. :unsure:

10. keith

Home Page:
    yeah on the cases and given our cars don't tend to be as large as yours :lol: it may be for the best

11. Tink

We've rented the smallest we could. :yes: The WAW has some seriously narrow roads, so we aren't going to deal with an SUV on something like that! :eek:

12. keith

Home Page:
    yeah well over here, small MEANS small :lol:

13. uscwest

Tink, what are self-catered places and how did you find them?

14. Tink

They can be anything from a room in someone's home, to a studio apartment, a full apartment or a full house. We would never stay in someone else's home, especially strangers!

We used a combination of VRBO, Home Away and Airbnb to research then select the places we wanted to stay. It was a LOT of work, and after weeks of research it still took us a total of ten hours last Saturday to make final selections and then confirm them. Someone who is better versed at arranging travel may have less time invested!

We are very pleased with our choices, and will definitely report back on how things went. Each place (site) has reviews too, and they are taken quite seriously, so we will be writing reviews for the places we stay.

Now, I'm looking up GPS coordinates on each place as those will be more specific than a given address. We haven't bought one yet, but have decided to go with a stand alone GPS, one that works for walking, too. Also, I may well purchase some ordinance map once we get to Dublin. I'm a map freak and if I can see "it" on paper to get the picture in my head, I feel much more prepared. On the other hand, "getting lost" is just another way of saying, "adventure," isn't it? :yes:

15. uscwest

I think it would be almost impossible to get lost in Ireland though I suppose anything could happen.

16. Tink

I think it would be more of going in the wrong direction than getting truly lost. That's easily corrected by a simple compass, eh? :yes: The only place we are really concerned about is the Dolphin Watch house as it's off the main road, to a secondary road, to a local road, to another very lesser known road and none after the main are sign posted. :eek: The directions are something like: Take the blah blah blah road (the main one) to such and such (landmark) and turn right. Go along until you see the wooden fence (as opposed to the rock walls???) and turn there. LEFT, or RIGHT? :unsure: Go along a bit further and when you come to the large tree that is in the center of the road path (uh huh, ROAD PATH) bear left, and then a quick right. Mind the cliff. :lol: OK, so I'm putting it on a bit, but it does read quite like that! Hence the need for GPS coordinates. :D

17. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    How exciting what a fantastic trip!

18. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    And there in the middle of the field is your home away from home tent! You're braver than me lol. Fun times ahead.

19. Tink

You laugh but there were yurts to rent on the sites I mentioned! :lol: Glamping, it's called. Yeah, no. :D Well, if the internet photos are to be believed it is at the top of a cliff with beautiful views. The actual beach is a short drive from there, but at 50 ish degrees we'll not be going in the ocean. :eek:

20. Tink

Oh, yes and some places were caravans, one even listed as a vintage caravan! :D It was a broken down old, ugly thing! :lol: