At Long Last...

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Tink, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

... some photos from our Ireland trip. We have many, none very good, so I've chosen some of the best, and hopefully the most interesting. The first series I post will be of Dublin. So, here we go!

arkvilla likes this.
  2. Tink

One of my most favorite places on earth. I can spend hours here, and do! The books are available to Trinity students, under supervision. They are all original and some are very, very old. This is one shot of Trinity College's Long Hall. Peaceful, serene, exudes history. We took a student lead tour of the college grounds. He was funny, very informative, and a warm and friendly person. The Long Hall...
    Long Hall Trinity Dublin.jpg

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  3. Tink

This photo was hard to capture. To get it from the front, you had to go outdoors. Those are almost impossible to see, marred by heavy reflection. This is the dying Cù Chuliann, the hero of Irish Myth and Legend. My brother and I devoured tales of the Irish myths as children. He was a favorite hero. This statue is in the GPO in Dublin, the scene of the initiation of the 1916 Rising. The building itself is majestic, and still a working PO. The statue is beautifully done, as you can see.

Cù Chulainn GPO Dublin copy.jpg

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  4. Tink

Miss Molly Malone, lovingly known as the Tart with the Cart. She's a real draw for tourists, so much so that it's hard to get a shot of her alone! You know the song, yes? Cockles and mussels alive, alive O! Pardon my off key. I really love the statues of Dublin, but won't go on with them forever. They are historical, fun, very well done, and of interest to nearly all visitors. Miss Molly...
    Miss Molly Malone Dublin.jpg

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  5. Tink

OK, let me 'splain this one a bit. We were in a tiny pub somewhere in Dublin. You had to go downstairs from the street to get to it. Herself decided she needed to use the restroom... she came out laughing and laughing and laughing. I thought the Guinness was nice, but not all that strong! She tried to get me to use the bathroom, but since I wasn't born yesterday, I declined. She then showed me this photo. The ceiling was so low that there was an air mattress thing on the ceiling to prevent head bumps!! One of the giggle moments, eh?
    Dublin Pub Bathroom.jpg

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  6. Tink

We stayed on the north side of the Liffey at the North Star Hotel. It was very nice. It was directly across the street from the main train station which was very, very handy for us. We were told by the cabbie that took us there from the airport that when we were leaving to explore the city, TURN RIGHT ONLY! DO NOT GO LEFT! So, of course, I decided to go left to find out why. Ummmmmm, we didn't go far, and learned quickly that the cabbie gave good advice! We didn't have a speck of trouble though, even though there was a shooting about three blocks from the train station! So, all that to say, there was a very handy restaurant in the hotel. Made it very nice to return in the evening, have our dinner then "retire to our room." We discovered this dessert there, and had it more than once! Maybe even more than twice! Ladies and gentlemen, the excellent, most delicious, Dublin Raspberry Mess!

Dublin Raspberry Mess.jpg

7. Tink

I'll close here now, for a bit. It's a tedious process getting the photos in a place where I can post them here. I'll try to post them in a sensible sort of manner, but you know that probably won't last long for me.
    I hope you enjoy them, and hope too, that you don't think it's been too long since our trip there for me to still be going on and on and on and on about it. :sorry:

We do love Ireland.

8. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Brill photos and I love that there's a story behind each one! thanks for posting :hug2:

Tink likes this.
  9. Isafari

Isafari Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The air mattress made me laugh too!
    Loving the photos

10. Tink

Isn't that the funniest thing, Isafari? :lol: Well, I guess if you are limited on space, you make do. I wonder how many people knocked themselves out before they put up the air mattress? :lol: It was a tiny place.

11. Tink

Here are a few more. As you know by now, we took the train from Dublin to Cork and picked up our rental car. We then drove to Kinsale. We stayed in a VRBO cottage.
    It was a small cottage, but perfectly fine for two people. This is a shot of the exterior. We parked right on the other side of the gate. The water was not far at all, just a short walk down a hill. HA! Hills!! They have hills! Our poor little flat lander legs didn't know what to make of that!
    Marian Cottage Exterior.jpg

12. Tink

This is a shot of the interior just on the other side of the entry door. It's the kitchen/dining looking into the little sitting area. The washer was a washer dryer combo and taught us that they don't work well! At least that one didn't. The ceiling is beautiful, isn't it. In the sitting area, the beams of the roof are showing. Really nice. Also, the wall to the right of this scene (in the kitchen) had some of the original stone wall showing. Really liked the authentic touches! Marian Cottage Kinsale.jpg

13. Tink

We drove back to Cork one day to visit the English Market and the downtown area. We drove in to an outlying bus station then took the bus into Cork. Kept us from having to deal with finding parking in the heart of the city. Must say, the driver of the bus was about the only grumpy person we ran into in Ireland. He clearly was having a bad day!
    Here are three shots of our favorite area of the market. For all this, we ended up with the lamb on a stick! Psssst! you see that screen above the fish? See who that is visiting the market? The English Market is VERY proud of the fact that She visited!
    English Market Cork.jpg

I don't believe the tuna can get any fresher. You'll notice a better shot of the Royal Visitor!

English Market Cork Tuna.jpg

Delicious looking beast, isn't it? There were other fish on display at other booths. One was nearly as large and they had smaller fish in its mouth! Interesting senses of humor, these Irish folk have.
    Did you know that in Cork they butter their eggs to extend their shelf life? Mrs. Sheedy told us that's the only place that she knows of that being done. Fish for dinner anyone?

English Market Huge Fish.jpg

BUTTERHEAD1 likes this.
  14. Tink

That was part of our day in Cork. In addition to the lamb on a stick we bought some bread, and olives. Oh, and Irish sea salt. I don't recall having bought anything sweet for dessert. OH! Maybe some cheese... not that it's sweet, but we'd have had that for dessert. We didn't eat out much in Kinsale, but did purchase fish and chips for dinner the day we arrived. They were the least favorite of the entire trip. I think it must have been a chain restaurant that we didn't recognize. The owner of the cottage recommended it, so we thought it would be good. It was passable, but you know? We didn't really care. We were happy to be in a snug cottage on the harbor, in Ireland!

keith likes this.
  15. keith

Home Page:
    I find as I'm growing older, I'm swinging away from meat and more towards fish! not shell fish or sushi, but you know, turbot, mackerel etc.....

16. Tink

From Kinsale, we drove to Lisdoonvarna, County Cork. You know by now that we loved our stay at Sheedy's and the surrounding area. Here is a link to their website. http://www.sheedys.com/ Their photos are much better than mine! Plus, you'll get to see some of the delicious food we feasted on each day we were there.

This was our room at Sheedy's. So peaceful, and comfortable. There is a little glass canning jar of homemade cookies on the desk. The tray under the television holds a kettle and china. No paper cups at Sheedy's!
    Sheedy's Hotel Room.jpg

Another view of our room. Who says there are no king size beds in Ireland?!

Sheedy's Hotel Room 2.jpg

Sheedy's has a dining room, a pub room, a lobby sitting room with fireplace, and a library, along with their guest rooms. This is a shot of their dining room from the corner table, which was ours during our stay.

Sheedy's Dining Room.jpg

This is their very comfortable pub room. They had a decent Guinness, a formidable collection of whiskey, and a very nice selection of wine. All this room needs are a couple of hunting dogs, yes?

Sheedy's Pub Room.jpg

This is a shot from the second floor landing. Notice the fire hose to the upper left of the photo. For some reason, we thought that was pretty amazing.

Sheedy's Second Floor.jpg

This was our divine breakfast one morning. You'll not be nearly as impressed as we were with the deep orange colored egg yolks. We buy organic eggs here, and even those yolks are not as deeply colored. The food here was rave worthy. If you EVER get the chance, dine here. You'll be so happy you did!

Sheedy's Breakfast.jpg

Here is most of the breakfast menu. I managed to cut off the bottom portion. Chef John will cook you anything you please for breakfast. You'll notice there are no prices, eh? That's because breakfast is INCLUDED with your stay!

Sheedy's Breakfast Menu.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  17. Tink

I love a good fish! I'm beyond fussy about it though. It has to be mild, perfectly cooked and very fresh. I do like nearly all sorts of shellfish, and other sea creatures like squid and octopus. I could easily live on seafood!

18. Tink

So! That's a glimpse of our beloved Sheedy's! I know you'll tire of me going on and on about it, but it's the very first place we've ever stayed that rivaled Disney for service, ability to help you plan your time there, and most absolutely the food. Martina Sheedy goes out of her way to insure that you are having the most perfect time possible. We asked about a cookbook, and she's been after Chef John to write one, but he's lukewarm on the idea. We intend to keep sending them cards and letters asking about the cookbook! If he ever writes one, buy it.

19. keith

Home Page:
    yep for me, fresh, really carefully cooked under/over and I wont like it and if there's anything with it, it must compliment it perfectly not overwhelm it.

wow thats one heck of a breakfast menu

20. Tink

Oh, and about the breakfast, you were expected to order something from each category!! The juice pictured in the photo is an apple juice. It's made from local apples and I cannot begin to describe the taste. It's absolutely like no apple juice I've ever tasted before.