iPhone 7

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Tink, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's nearly time for me to replace my Samsung Galaxy Note. It's trying to give up the ghost. Herself has an iPhone and is insisting that I switch.

So, I'm not really hearing too much about the iPhone 7, other than complaints about the wireless earbuds. I'm not usually one for getting "older models" once the new one has come out, but the 6 looks pretty good to me.

Opinions? iPhone 7, or the 6? I'd get the larger 6, if I go with that...

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    definitely get the larger if you can deal with it (and since you've had the note, you can!)

The 6 is now 2 models out, there's the 6s and the 7 after it.

The 6 to 6s was nothing much, bit faster, lift to turn on quite useful (handset turns on when it detects you taking out of pocket etc in ios10)

the 7, well too soon too tell, but faster, much better camera (in theory) and the button replaced by a touch sensor (Which could go either way).

All of which is to say, the 6 would have to be a GREAT deal for me to want it now because Apple are savage when it comes to dropping support for older models. Most people expect next year's update to be a huge one (rather than an interim upgrade like it would normally be, 7s)

so definitely get the plus model..... I'd say 7 so its current and live with it a couple of years, only get the 6 if it's a bargain

3. Tink

Hmmmmm... I did hear that next year's model will be a fully revised version. That tempts me to wait for that one. Not sure the Galaxy can hold out. I agree with your estimation of the 6. If it's darn near free, maybe, but ... I know me. Newer, bigger, better, faster, more... that's how I get into trouble! :D

I did listen to a report on the camera for the 7 and it was a pretty good report, although I didn't quite catch all they were saying. I'm not concerned about the wireless earbuds, because I hate those things and won't use them. I use speaker phone in the car (syncs with my car system) so no need for a headset. I don't use my phone for music...

Will have to mull it over a bit. Did you get a 7 yet?

4. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Well-Known Member

Retired NYPD Detective
    I have the 6 plus and I will have an upgrade available later this month. There was nothing I saw or read about the 7 that makes me want to use my upgrade . I will probably keep the 6 plus for another year and let one of my kids take the upgrade.

5. Tink

6 plus, that's the one that Herself did not choose. She went with the smaller 6 when they first came out. She doesn't like a big phone like I do. I'm leaning toward waiting, if I can squeak this phone through another year...
    Thanks for your info, BH.

6. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Well-Known Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    Same here with the 6plus. Love it. Nothing wrong with it. But I'm almost certainly going to get the 7plus.

Because, you know, new and shiny.

I might opt in for the apple upgrade program which means when you've made one year's worth of payments you can switch/upgrade without penalty. Just in time for next year's new model (if they do something awesome).

7. Tink

I don't know what sort of offers are available here for iPhones. I know a couple of years back Target of all places had an excellent deal on the 5 model. Then, when Herself upgraded to the 6 it was a really good trade in. Something I learned the hard way. iPhone has a beat all trade in, whereas Samsung can't compare.

I'm still mulling. :) Speaking of which, we have cider in the refrigerator...

8. keith

Home Page:
    one thing I'll say is that, whatsapp is OK but if you and your partner both have an iphone imessage works GREAT

I try a lot of phones and when I spend a week on a samsung, I get hardly any messages. Few whatsapps. I go back to imessage on iphone and everyone uses it. it's so good

9. Tink

That's part of the reason she wants me to switch to an iPhone. I can't text her at work, but if I had an iPhone it would go through. Not sure if it's iMessage, or just the Apple system. Something weird though, if we are in a group text that originates from an iPhone and she's at work AND I respond first, she doesn't get the text until she's out in the open (her office walls are concrete and the verizon signal doesn't penetrate). If I don't respond, she can text back to the iPhone that originated the message. Odd or what? Or, maybe you have an explanation for it?

10. keith

Home Page:
    imessage uses both "TEXT" (which is more like a cell phone call, you dont need data) and "DATA" (which can be over cell or wifi).

So, if imessage looks and sees that the person you're sending to is on an iphone AND has data service available, the messages will turn blue and it'll send like that.
    If it cant see the person via data or they dont have an iphone, the message will be green and sent as text/SMS message.

So it sounds to me like, if you respond first, because youre not on an iphone, it's sent as a TEXT/SMS over cell and as you said, she doesnt get that signal. Otherwise, she can message back and it'll try sending to everyone else via data....

Imessage *IS* really good, I miss it a lot when Im in a period of having to use something else to test

11. Tink

I know on those rare times when I remember to bring the iPad to work with me, I can message her with no problem. So, I do believe there is an iPhone in my very near future. Especially, since the newest model of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is exploding and causing fires!

12. keith

Home Page:
    yeah they've dropped the ball on the note 7 big time. I think they should've made it a full 6inch phone anyway but the battery situation has not helped them at all!

In THEORY whatsapp should work between you very much like imessage would?

BUT I do find imessage to imessage to be the neatest, best solution for people who have iphones :yes:

The 7 plus camera should be great and I know you take a lot with your phone

13. Tink

For some reason she doesn't have Whatsapp on her phone. We could probably try that, too. I did hear that the camera in the 7 was really good. I guess I'm resigned to being a forever mobile phone camera user! :sigh: I'd like to think I'd use the real one, but you know how that's played out. :(

Yes, the battery in the Samsung 7 seems to be the culprit. They are not allowing them to be in checked luggage, or to be turned on while on board airplanes. Makes you really wonder! I'm surprised there hasn't been a full recall.

14. keith

Home Page:
    To be honest, there have been battery explosions in iphones (and all phones really) as well :/ it's just that samsung is the latest. They're trying so darn hard to pull the last little bit of performance out of the batteries that the tolerances are tiny now.

Still, of all the phones I've tried, and we get them all in the office, the iphones are still my favourite by a long way

15. Tink

Yes, you've always been a real fan of iPhones.

I have a couple more questions, though?

If I have an iPhone can I text you directly using the Apple system, without needing an international plan on my mobile from my carrier?

And, has iPhone yet come out with the ability to press and hold a given letter key to have a punctuation mark come up, or do I have to toggle back and forth between letters and symbols. I know it sounds like a simple thing, but the Samsung allows me to text without having to toggle like that. Many of the letters will also produce a punctuation mark when held down.

16. keith

Home Page:
    ok.... so if you have an iphone with data plan (or youre on wifi) and I have an iphone with data plan (or Im on wifi) and we try and text each other, it will use imessage DATA (the messages will be blue) and they will take up a tiny amount of data, so will be basically free. If either of us DONT have data or perhaps we're out of range of data, the phone will send that message as an old style TEXT/SMS (it'll be green not blue) and that will need you to be able to text internationally (though that's different from needing to text FROM abroad if that makes sense? most plans should allow you to send a text abroad but it may cost more). So 99% or higher, yeah, it'll just work.

The iphone doesnt have a number line across the keyboard like the samsung does :( and I wish it would! Nor can you press/hold..... there are two ways around this

1. by default, you just touch the 123 button and keep your finger there and the keyboard changes to numbers and symbols, you swype your finger up to any number/symbol and blam the keyboard instantly changes back to ABC for your next letter so you dont have to keep doing 123/ABC/123 etc.. It sounds more long winded than it is, in practice its very quick and faster than holding and waiting for a letter to change to punctuation. (not many folks know this one ;-)

2. there are now different keyboards you can download and install

17. Tink

OK, I actually understood the texting/messaging bit.
    Thanks for the tip on the keyboard. That is what stopped me last time. That, and Galaxy Note lets me "write on the screen" much like the old PDA. Do you remember Palm Pilot? I had a 7, and still have it tucked up somewhere! LOL.
    So, I'll keep pondering. Mostly it's just waiting it out. I've heard that Apple has a special deal now? Not sure what that's all about, but I will check on it.

18. keith

Home Page:
    Yeah if you like that writing on the screen experience then the note is the better choice for sure. I LOVED palm pilot :) yep I'm sure I have mine somewhere. Apple tried with the newton but it was too large and clumsy. Palm pilot made you learn a new way to write but once you had mastered it, it was fast and small.

What do you write on the screen?

19. Tink

I take notes in meetings, jot down reminders, things like that. I can also "write" my texts, which I thought would be more useful than it has turned out to be.

Yes! I remember learning graffiti! It was fun!!

20. keith

Home Page:
    yeah texts and stuff I gave up writing. BUT in meetings, it's useful to have a blank "paper" screen in front of you and just jot without looking. The ipad has that so I tend to use that when I need that functionality