Route 66, a cruise or Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by keith, Sep 28, 2014.

1. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    We're going to have some spare holidays next year since DW has been at her current place of work for 25yrs so we've been debating where to spend them.

I've always fancied Route 66, or whatever's left of it. Has anyone done it? Is it worth it now?

Another possibility would be Hawaii which everyone tells me is amazing. I'm totally not a beach person, wouldn't want to spend much time there at all, so there'd have to be things for me to do, places to go etc.

Third option is a cruise. Again it's something everyone tells us we'd love! Perhaps we could somehow mix a cruise with hawaii? I dont know anything about cruising

What do you think?

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    Cruise.

Not much left of 66 as far as I can tell, although it does sound like fun, totally not Hawaii if you're not a beach person. I know nothing of course, this is just my opinion.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    Route 66 is a trip that I have always fancied doing, although I am told that nowadays it is not that easy to follow due to the various other freeways etc. that take you off the route.
    The closest I came to seeing part of Route 66 was on a business trip to St. Louis a while back where I stayed at a hotel located on the route and they had refurbished a stretch of the road to represent the way it was in its heyday.

Having never been to Hawaii I can`t really comment although folks who I have spoken to who have been tell be that it is a great place to visit.

You know my views on cruisin`Keith.....go for it! :yes:

4. Esmeralda

Cruise cruise cruise... you know you want to. Look how you were about driving in Florida and how you were about upper class.... once you've done it you won't turn back... do it Keef....

5. keith

Home Page:
    ok say I went for the cruise option... any ideas which?

6. Esmeralda

OK depends what you want from a cruise, so much to choose from and also what you want to pay. Pay cheap you can get cheap IE Squeasyjet do cruises and you DON'T want them.. lol... everything is plastic in the cabin so they can swill it out after you've been sick...

Crystal and cunard are up there for prices but quality also, but then again they can be a bit stuffy. As in formal. If you don't want formal formal you can go halfway with P and O and Royal Carribean. I love the RC big ships, they are out of this world for things to do. They have absolutely everything and you don't even have to leave the ship. Look up Allure, (RC) their bigger ships I would recommend.

7. Esmeralda

The higher up floor you choose the more you pay. I would recommend a suite if you can afford it... if not go for a balcony. The more you pay obviously the more choices you have and more perks. Try to go for a room nearish to the lifts as the ships can be huuuuuuuuuuuge and you could be in for a looooooong walk lol. Lot's of people like to have an aft room but you can sometimes get smoke in your room from a smoke stack. Also choose a non smoking side if you don't smoke as they have those too.

8. Slowhand

Retired
    Whichever cruise you go for Keith, I suggest that if funds will allow then take a cruise of several nights duration.
    We did a 3 day DCL cruise a few years ago and although we enjoyed it [as usual], nevertheless it seemed like as soon as we had boarded, it was time to disembark.
    I really prefer 7/12 night cruises so that you can really unwind and take it all in.

9. Slowhand

Retired
    DCL do not have a tiered price structure based on deck levels.
    In addition, nowadays smoking is not permitted in ANY of the staterooms on DCL including the balconies [which is the type we always go for BTW]. Smoking is only allowed on certain areas on parts of the outside deck.
    Personally I would not go for rooms near to the elevators unless you can put up with extra noise from folks using them.

10. Esmeralda

I agree about the smoking thing but when a thousand people are all on one side on the upper deck having a puff if you are underneath it can waft and stink quite bad into your room below.

Also I said you want to be near (ish) to the lifts. We were and found that we couldn't hear a thing as were were just far enough away to not be bothered. On our ship they were in the outer corridor if that makes sense. The best thing to do is to get a layout of the ship and plan where you want to have a cabin.

This is my experience but you have far more cruising experience than me.

11. keith

Home Page:
    I really fancy a couple of weeks on a cunard ship .... have you tried them Esme?

12. uscwest

uscwest Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Keith,

First, Hawaii has much more than beaches. We've only been to Oahu and the Big Island of Hawaii. On Oahu alone there is much to do besides beaches. Take a walk up Diamond Head, drive around the island, go to Punch Bowl, visit Pearl Harbor. On the Big Island there are the volcano fields and lava flowing into the sea, beautiful waterfalls on one side and desert on the other. On Maui go up Haleakala and see the sun rise. And guess what, you can cruise around the islands so you get the best of both worlds. Wendy's been to Oahu and I don't think she and Chris are much of beach goers either.

13. Esmeralda

No but a cruise forum I belong to... well did belong to lol... has lots of people who recommend them.

14. Esmeralda

Wow that sounds like a cruise I'd want to do.

15. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've not read all the replies, so forgive me it I repeat anything.

We did a Hawaiian Cruise (flew to Hawaii, and then did a Norwegian Cruise). It was really nice. NCL is for adults, although you will run into children, they are few and far between. They have freestyle dining which means you dine when you want and where you want and are not forced to sit with strangers at a table unless you choose to do so. That was the only way Herself could get me on a cruise ship. :D The islands are lovely and there is much, much, much to do without lounging about on beaches all day. :D

Route 66 only exists in portions anymore. It's a great way to see a country, or a portion of a country, driving through small towns, etc. Depends upon what area of the US you want to see. I'm not a huge fan of the area where the route traverses for the most part, so it hold no allure for me. If I were going to travel by car, across country and wanted to stay off the main thoroughfares, I'd consider driving route 20. :yes: But I'm a northerner by heart, so this is no surprise. Of course, it would have to be done in the summer. :yes:

What was the other? Oh, just a cruise or just Hawaii... combine those two as previously discussed.

BUT if you want to do just a cruise, do an unusual one, like the River Shannon, or the Danube, something like that. Something that the whole world isn't flocking in on you. Maybe a Windjammer. Or, if you can dress in carefully applied drag every day you could sneak your way onto an Olivia cruise. ;) :D :lol:

16. keith

Home Page:
    fascinating, that sounds really interesting.. I think it would be great to see Hawaii but mixing it with a cruise sounds a great way to combine the two possibilities.

Route 66 is one of those things from my child hood... Always said I'd do it, never seem to have bothered and I don't know why not! I love all the little weird places and the photo opportunities would be huge

now you see THAT sounds like it could be an adventure ;-O

17. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You'd need to be pretty careful with your head up all the time, when driving much of Route 66. :sigh: Not to say, don't do it, but it would take careful planning and a very reliable vehicle.

18. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Cruise. Route 66 is mostly gone and Hawaii might erupt.

19. keith

Home Page:
    :lol: I'm sure it would if I got there

Then again, people stuck on board a ship with me for more than a few hours could well decide to throw me overboard

20. Tony G

Tony G Well-Known Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I've always wanted to do the Route 66 thing too, although I probably have to agree with the others that it's night on a defunct journey now.

I'd also like to visit Hawaii, but I'm not sure I'd want that as my only destination.

How about doing a whistlestop tour of USA? Begin on the West coast, stop in as many places as tickle your fancy, then end with some quality time back at home in WDW.

PS. Does your missus work for JLP, by any chance?