Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Britchick, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

anyone been on this ship? pretty sure we'll be doing a cruise for our Silver Wedding anniversary next year. I think i got the cruising bug!

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I've not, but I have a friend who loves sailing Royal Caribbean. :yes: He is a Disney CM and prefers RC to DCL! :yes:

3. Tink

For something as important as a 25th, you might want to look at Crystal, or a cruise line at that level? :yes:

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomeness :D
    Yes I have been on this ship, it was gorgeous anything specific you want to know?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

5. Esmeralda

It depends on what you are expecting from a cruise. I have only experienced this ship so can only tell you about this one, but a cruising forum I belong to has cruisers who prefer up up market iykwim. The RC is not a Stelios ship by any stretch of the imagination and lots of folks like to dress up for dinner, it is less informal than say a Cunard or Crystal cruise. Try to do some research before you splash out. I know Slowhand has done lots of cruises. If I was to cruise again I would do RC but their newer bigger ship. Also port stops may be a deciding factor for you.

6. Britchick

thanks for input so far....

I'm in a bit of a quandary, i'm not bothered about dressing up - i'd happily put on a casual dress to go to dinner - getting ready time is wasted time in my opinion.

I've sailed on Princess - which we enjoyed and DCL which was as good food quality and service wise with the Disney touch (what's not to like), I'm a bit worried that RC won't be as nice but don't want stuffy either. I've sent for a quote for Oceania cruise lines and await this whilst bracing myself for the price!!

I have a very fussy husband who is a nightmare to book a holiday for, Disney I just go ahead and get on with it and he tags along but (understandably) he wants an input in this one!! lol

7. Esmeralda

Well RC is not stuffy at all, I don't *do* stuffy and that's why I have avoided Cunard. If you want sailings that are not so overrun with children then I recommend you sail when the kids are at school. The time we sailed (September) there wer onlu 100 kids on board, sounds alot but not when you see the size of the ship. Plus the staff told us that the previous week there had been 1,000 kids and they'd run amok, playing with the lifts to such an extent it drove everyone crazy. Even if you choose not to do the buffet some nights and want to sit down to a tablecloth you just have to look nice, no one says anything if you don't do the tux thing on formal night either. Apparently on Cunard you're practically hissed at so I understand lol. However hope Terry can help out here. It actually sounds as though RC would be right up your street.

8. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Kinda awkward for me. I love the sound of stuffy old cunard :lol: I really think I'd like all that (well at least once ;-)

9. Esmeralda

If you like that then that would be right up your street Keef not knocking it, it's just not for me. I'm too poorly to get dressed up to the nines every night.

10. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    yeah I'd really like to do a totally elegant, old style cruise at least once. Perhaps when the current role comes to an end I'll do a UK->new york cunard or something

11. Tink

I would like to do an elegant cruise, but only if we could have a private table for all our meals. Not that either of us dress, though. That'd be a trick.

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Oh for what it is worth, the Skips love RC. We have sailed with them 5 or 6 times. The last time it was on the Allure of the Sea, the largest cruise ship in the world (ok so it is like 4 inches bigger than it sister ship). It is huge and has "neighborhoods". We love this boat. There is an adult only section with 4 private tiny pools, great views of the ocean, and a neat little buffet (healthy type food during the day - a Brazilian Steak house by night). They have great entertainment with shows like Chicago, tons of cool bars and coffee shops, zip line, climbing wall, flowrider. Three or four big pools and hot tube cantilevered over the edge of the ship.

Dining options range from casual to sort of dressed up. There are of course pay plus restaurants and the like. You can opt for that, we didn't. I see on their new ships and restored older ones they are taking a cue from Disney and they are offering a rotating dining option.

If you go on RC, you have the option to eat in the Spa...wonderful healthy options. We thought that was an pay plus place but no it isn't. There is a place they call Central Park (has like a couple hundred living full sized trees in an open atrium) lined with tapas places, sandwich places, wine bars, and the like. Very good options.

Not sure about the boat you mentioned, but in my opinion, RC is a great line to sail on. Not as stuffy as others, a bit classier than Carnival (more mature) also not as blow our party as Carnival. BTW...they have Dreamworks character events on the Allure for the kids (near the fan tail - diving show, a boardwalk type place with carousel hot dog stands and the like).

Highly recommend the Allure.

13. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    :bugeye:You mean you were there in the all together?? Tink you naughty minx!

14. Britchick

well i think we're sorted - nearly ended in divorce choosing this ;)

As i said i can manage popping on a dress but just not an evening dress every night. We're now looking at celebrity x equinox and getting an aqua class room - bit like having concierge but with a spa theme - it is a special anniversary after all! They only have 2 formal nights and the rest is resort casual - a polo and trousers for Jon and we can always order room service and eat on the balcony or do the buffet in the evening. We have a few overnights in port too so we will probably eat off the ship on those nights

15. Esmeralda

For Keef, there is a good cruis blog I read with excellent pictures regarding Cunard, this chap has just done a sailing to New York. He loves Cunard and his reviews are honest and a good read. Solentrichardscruiseblog.

16. Esmeralda

A book you might like Keef is called books shoes and maggie mou. A seasoned cruiser, who is also a friend of Solent Richards, it is about a world cruise she did. Very interesting.

17. Tink

Ummmm, ermmmm... well, I didn't quite mean THAT! :eek: Hahahahahaha. We don't do mink and pearls is what I meant. :D

18. Esmeralda

Ooh la la! Mink and Pearls is what they're calling it then these days! Would you like a pube with that cupcake!!!!!!!!!!! SHRIEKS! Clamps hand over mouth..... drags meself away>>>>>>>>>>>> I never said that it wasn't me! Shrieks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!